Post by jdogric12 »

GIBrat51 wrote:Epiphone Frankenstein
12-string

I command you to elaborate!

please
GIBrat51

Re: Kay Rick copy

Post by GIBrat51 »

As you wish. Several years ago I lucked into an early 70's Japanese Epiphone lefty guitar; an EA-250. True hollow-body, with a bolt-on neck and hot
single coil pups. Does rockabilly and blues like you can't believe. Any how, a couple of years later I acquired the matching bass - EA-260. Best
sounding hollow-body bass I've ever heard; will also be a lefty one of these days. Shortly after I got the bass, someone on e-Bay was selling a 12-string guitar,
made from an EA-250. They had converted it to a lefty, and grafted on the neck from an acoustic Epiphone 12-string. I thought it would be a nice addition
to the pair, and it was cheap. It was kind of a sloppy job - like, well, Frankenstein - but, like it's namesake, it DOES work. Sounds pretty good, actually. Don't
have a picture of the thing; guess I'll have to take one. I don't play it; my fingers are 'way too thick and blunt. Plus, lots of EAs have neck problems anyway,
and I don't know how competently the conversion was done. The neck was off something else completely different (and probably NOT a bolt-on), so I'm not real
sure it's structurally sound. For now, it's just for display, and very lightly strung.I do want to get it squared away, but it's pretty far down on my 'To Do' list.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Cool! Pics would be a treat.
GIBrat51

Post by GIBrat51 »

Sorry, but I don't seem able to post a picture here. Just picture in your mind an old, red Epiphone Riviera, badly converted to a lefty, with an acoustic 12-string nesk grafted on - also badly done. Cram 12 strings into a 6-string trapeze tailpiece. run them across a boogered-up bridge and a nut with 6 extra slots cut with (apparently) a pocket knife, and - that's "Frankie"! By the way, found a Ric bass copy last Friday at a store here in town. Anyone heard of a 'Kaguro'? Older (probably '70s) Japanese copy of a 4001, with checkered binding, and a toaster (looking) neck pickup. The bolt on neck and the tuners were the big giveaway. Actually played and sounded pretty nice, but definitely not like a Rick. Wrong-handed for me, of course, and too expensive for a wall hanger, or else it might be mine right now.
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Post by cheyenne »

Played one of the Kay's back in the day.

Pure trash. Not even worth the time of day.
"Knowledge is Power"
ajish4
RRF Moderator

Post by ajish4 »

jdogric12 wrote:Thought:

fugly
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Return to “The Low End”