SITE GOING DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE

Rules, posting instructions and the latest news.
wints
Veteran RRF member

Re: SITE GOING DOWN FOR MAINTENANCE

Post by wints »

admin wrote:Thanks Wints. Your comments are appreciated. As mentioned we have some tweaking to do. Please tell us what you think. There is no need to sugarcoat it. :lol:
Sometimes you just have to call it as you see it Peter. I don't get any joy from it in this instance. Grey's original post, now edited, mentioned a reference point to a High School project. Absolutely.

I might be one of the more expressive here, but I get the distinct feeling that I'm not the only one feeling this way about this topic...
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

Can't we just go back to the original theme, don't fix what isn't broken. I know i'll be using the forum much less due to this theme being simply unpleasant to look at and that thought is depressing.
jdawe

Post by jdawe »

I hate to be negative, since I appreciate the effort you guys have put into this, but add me to the list of people who really dislikes the new color scheme.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Some comments on the aesthetics of the new layout:

The "kciResource" logo (you get the idea) was classy when done in maroon and gold. The backwards K-C-I was not so obvious. However, In plain red on white, it's obvious and distracting.

I was just thinking the other day (okay, maybe a few weeks ago) but really -- how visually soothing the beige and maroon background color scheme of the RRF was, as contrasted to more glaringly white (and thus empty-looking) color schemes of other forums. Something kind of homey about that beige color. (Columbo would have agreed!)

One might say it's ultimately about the information; however, as this is a liesure-time activity for most of us, I would submit that the aesthetics should reflect the spirit of the forum, which I would characterize as collegial, mature, considerate. Somehow the white-red-light blue thing isn't doing it for me. It reminds me of a website under construction. I keep waiting for something to fill up all that white space.

Finally, I was used to having the Register features always present in the upper right. Now I have to search around for them.

My 2 cents.
just_bassics
Intermediate Member

Post by just_bassics »

I prefer the old look. This is very hard on my eyes, for some reason. I just returned from a quick trip to Florida and after only about fifteen minutes on the boards I can't focus my eyes anymore. Maybe it will look better tomorrow or after a few tweaks, but right now it's hurting these 52 year old eyes!

I do appreciate any and all efforts made at improvement, as I know you appreciate honest feedback, so I guess that's my .02's worth...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

These are all great comments guys and the very thing we are looking for.

We are faced with a new format and associated feature and colour options and we are sorting through it slowly.

We are also trying to put the Store together with other Rickresource sites and it is a tall order to do it all at once.

Rest assured that we hear you with regard to aesthetics, readability, and features. Your kind approach is much appreciated.

Peter
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Peter, we know you and Gil are doing the best you can. Though many of us like the original look, the faithful here appreciate and support your efforts. Being here for over 10 years with the original and unique look, it just felt like home.
Last edited by rickenbrother on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickenbrother wrote:...the faithful here appreciate and support your efforts.
Yes, we do. :)

From what I have read, I will consider this look just the basic template upon which good things are yet to come. 8)
fluffy
Intermediate Member

Post by fluffy »

just an idea.. but why not run a new color every day then take a vote ??
I can't say I dislike this color scheme, but it did catch me off guard as I missed the warning thread :shock: I thought the late 80's/early 90's were finally catching up with me when I first logged in this morning :lol: :lol:
♪♫♪♫I need new strings, these ones have a bunch of dang wrong notes on 'em ♫♪♫♪

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/thesubtleties
Colonel Sanders
Intermediate Member

Post by Colonel Sanders »

The advanced search in the Rick Register does not seem to work with my iPad. Works for my MacBook Pro though.
1973 4001 Jetglo
2023 4003 Mapleglo
2022 4005XC Jetglo
1979 MusicMan Stingray
2021 Epiphone Thunderbird
2020 Fender P-Bass American Original 60s
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

jps wrote:
rickenbrother wrote:...the faithful here appreciate and support your efforts.
Yes, we do. :)

From what I have read, I will consider this look just the basic template upon which good things are yet to come. 8)
+1 here.
JimK
gibsonlp
Technical Admin

Post by gibsonlp »

The old forum theme, prosilver and the subsilver theme are back for now.
I would appreciate suggestions and "building" comments.
For example - does everyone like the way the main site looks now? if yes - does it mean you simply don't like the forum's "inside" (bluish theme, etc...).
Or... Do you think the red bar on the top doesn't look good. etc...
So long and thanks for all the fish!
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

gibsonlp wrote:The old forum theme, prosilver and the subsilver theme are back for now.
I would appreciate suggestions and "building" comments.
For example - does everyone like the way the main site looks now? if yes - does it mean you simply don't like the forum's "inside" (bluish theme, etc...).
Or... Do you think the red bar on the top doesn't look good. etc...
Thank you! It's so refreshing to see the old theme back. I think that the underlying idea is a good one, you want the forum and the website to share a coherent, consistent theme. I don't really have any ideas at the moment, I already enjoy the way the theme has always looked so trying to "improve" upon something that already works well is a bit difficult, however, I will list a few of the things I like about this theme and maybe that will help.

I like the search placement, and the links to the Register all conveniently located at the top right in the banner. I like the guitars featured in the banner and the warm colorscheme of the forum. I like this version of the logo, with the mirrored R but without the backwards kci.

One of my primary complaints with the new theme and the website is that the layout is rather plain and generic, it dosen't grab your attention and seperate itself from the deluge of similar websites like this theme does.

If you have some ideas i'd be happy to hear them and come up with a few design concepts that I think would be more aesthically pleasing.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Ahhhhhhhh.........back to the way the page should look (Old Forum)! Thanks, Gil. :D It's like sitting down in my favorite chair with my favorite brand of musical instrument in hand, and a bowl of Extreme Moose Tracks®! 8)
Seans
Intermediate Member

Post by Seans »

Add me to the non likers, I feel it's a very washed out look, pale and weak.

But, unless this has not been mentioned, why, when you click on a link does it not open in a new tab.

Return to “Rules and Questions for Admin ONLY”