Glasstone "Lill G"

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Glasstone "Lill G"

Post by Kopfjaeger »

OK, I'm not the most "new gear savvy" person on the forum but I'm in love with my new rig. It's a Glasstone Lil G cab with 2 Faital pro 12 inch speakers, one down firing. The thing weighs in at 39 pounds and puts out 600 watts of pure joy!! I just received my Orange TB500 head and the combined load is 50 lbs! My back, nuts, and ears all thank me!! Serious power in a light weight package and the cab tone puts my 4-10 Orange cab to shame! Fuller sounding with more punch, by far.

The manufacturer added a push button 4 to 8 ohm switch that drops out one speaker if I want to combine it with my 4-10 cab. Not sure how often I'll opt to do that but it makes this Lil G more flexible.

Glasstone's customer service blew me away! The owner treated me liek I was #1 on his priority list. Way above and beyond anything I had ever experienced before from any company.

Sepp
mini rig of doom.jpg
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
T28

Re: Glasstone "Lill G"

Post by T28 »

I have been gigging a Lil G for the past few months and I agree with everything you have said. It is a bomb in a small case.
I have yet to find a venue that it could not handle and it easily keeps up with our loud drummer, keyboardist, and 2 guitarists.
I still have not turned up my PUMA 900 head past 10 on either the gain or the master volume.

FEAR ME!

Oh yeah.....sorry guys but this is voiced as a BASS CAB as the designer/builder is a bass player.
Not sure if he has anything for guitars or if the Lil G would work with guitars (but I kinda doubt it based on the speaker choice).
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Sepp: Do you intend to do any demo videos with this cab? I've been thinking about going back to 10' speakers, but I'd be interested in hearing how this cab sounds.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Joey,

Most certainly, but it probably won't be until early next moth. When I got my first "Lil G" i had not yet received the TB500 head so I ran my Ad200b (all tube) through it, to give it a whirl. The head is perched atop of my 4-10 equipped cab. I was blown away by the tone of the Lil G so to be fair I plugged into the 4-10. The tone quite different. I've always liked the tone coming out of the 4-10 cab but the 2-12's in the Lil G sounded better with the same exact settings than the 4-10 cab.

I know room size and room layout have a lot to do with how a cab sounds but all things being equal, the Lil G was first place by a comfortable margin. The 4-010 cab I think is rated at 800w while the Lil G is 600w. Both ratings are crazy loud and both are rated for more than either head can achieve. I'm not giving up on my 4-10 since there is a place for it but I'd be hard pressed to think I'm going to need more power anytime soon. The portability of the new rig (50lbs combined) is huge in the ease of transportation department. Hell, I think the Ad200b tips the scales at 70 lbs!! :shock:

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Intrigued!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yes, very interesting!
8)
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

Kopfjaeger wrote:Joey,
Most certainly, but it probably won't be until early next month.

Sepp
No rush. I've been wanting to make some vids as well, but probably won't get around to doing them until early next month as well.
My favorite cab ever is the SWR Henry 8x8, which has all the low end, growl, clarity, volume and punch that I want. In comparison, many cabs fall short for me on at least one of those sonic attributes. I've been tempted to take advantage of some good deals on used ones on local CL, but I really don't feel like schlepping that 100lb. cab, especially at the end of the night. I'm done with carrying around heavy gear.
T28

Post by T28 »

Here is the latest thread on TB with some pics.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/glass ... bs-942152/

There are also some good YouTube clips but I don't have the links handy.

Very versitle cab that appears to work well with almost any type of music.

He also has a 2x10 model in the works and has a 1 x15 available but the 2x12 Lil G appears to be the fav so far.

http://glasstonesound.com/lilgpage.html
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

One of my favorite cabinets i've used was the Mesa Scout 1-12",with a passive downfiring radiator. (Didn't like the walkabout head so much,tho) The glasstone concept sounds like it may do the Mesa one better,certainly a much bigger power handler. Intriguing,indeed!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

After reading the Talkbass thread... I'm thinking it just might be time to replace my old Ampeg cabs...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

I have one interested Forumite that would like to give the Glasstone/TB500 a spin. He is rather local to me if there is anyone else, perhaps I can have a mini confluence at my home. Rickenbacker through my Glasstone cab sounds like a great time!!

Sepp
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

T28 wrote:Here is the latest thread on TB with some pics.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/glass ... bs-942152/

There are also some good YouTube clips but I don't have the links handy.

Very versitle cab that appears to work well with almost any type of music.

He also has a 2x10 model in the works and has a 1 x15 available but the 2x12 Lil G appears to be the fav so far.

http://glasstonesound.com/lilgpage.html
Thanks for the TB link. I had seen on the Glasstone website that they make a 2x10" cab. I don't see them in the directory of my NAMM show app. I would have likes to hear them there. At last year's NAMM show, the amps & cabs that impressed me most were from Tecamp. I was able to try them out with a 4001, which either belonged to the company CEO or Linda Blend. I wanted to buy one on the spot, but didn't have the ready spare cash.
Funny, I didn't see SWR there last year.
T28

Post by T28 »

Joey, I believe that there will be a Glasstone at the Brubaker booth.

I am currently running a Lil G with a Tecamp PUMA 900 and to be honest, my GAS as for as amps are concerned are over.

I have the Walkabout 1x12 stack, the fEARful 12/6/1 stack with the PUMA 900 and the Lil G with the PUMA 900.
They all sound slightly different with different voicings but they are all killer and I would be more than happy to play a gig with any of them.

When Sammie sent me my Lil G, he forgot to add a couple of things that I had asked for in passing......not his fault because I was not explicit.
He contacted me a week or so ago and said that it really bugged him and that he was sending a new cab out to me...........

The reason I mention this is that while we were talking he mentioned that if I knew anyone that was interested in my cab that rather than sending it back to him, he would cut a deal for the new owner. So if any of you are interested, you can contact me for details on my cab and then if you want it you can contact Sammie to work out the pricing. It is in mint shape and has less than 50-60 hours on it.
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

I'll definitely check out the Glasstone cab at the Brubaker booth. PM sent to you, Stephen.
T28

Post by T28 »

Sammie Glass also makes these with speakers other than the Faital Pro that cost a couple hundred less....but I have no experience with them or their sound.

Return to “The Low End”