Rose Morris Rickenbacker Gallery

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

collin

Re: Rose Morris Rickenbacker Gallery

Post by collin »

pauleway wrote:
k43rover wrote:
deaconblues wrote:I like those dark 1997s...60's Autumnglo or whatever the color is called.

It's officially designated as Autumnglo although on here Redburst has been used. Here are more shots....

I think these are the guitars that were called "MoonGlo" when he worked at a music store in the mid 70's!
AFAIK, Ron O'Keefe explained the term "moonglo" was coined in the last 15-20 years or so, after a journalist working on an article with Ron called the finish that, and it stuck.

Otherwise, it was just referred to as "Autumnglo" at Radio-Tel, which had a few different shades over various years.
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

It's officially designated as Autumnglo although on here Redburst has been used. Here are more shots....[/quote]

I think these are the guitars that were called "MoonGlo" when he worked at a music store in the mid 70's![/quote]

AFAIK, Ron O'Keefe explained the term "moonglo" was coined in the last 15-20 years or so, after a journalist working on an article with Ron called the finish that, and it stuck.

Otherwise, it was just referred to as "Autumnglo" at Radio-Tel, which had a few different shades over various years.[/quote]

My brother worked in a music store in the early 70's to the early 80's and said that there were Rickenbacker guitars that came into the store and were designated as "MoonGlo", and that was over forty years ago. That seems to shoot R. O'keefe's story down!!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

pauleway wrote: My brother worked in a music store in the early 70's to the early 80's and said that there were Rickenbacker guitars that came into the store and were designated as "MoonGlo", and that was over forty years ago. That seems to shoot R. O'keefe's story down!!
Here's what we know:

- There are absolutely no known references to a finish called "Moonglo" in any company literature or invoices.

- The (25) 1997s and (50) 1998s referenced in this thread that are informally referred to as Moonglo were never officially called Moonglo. Roy Morris was looking to shake things up and in 1965 ordered guitars in a red-to-black burst, "Red Autumnglo".***

- The first reference to "Moonglo" I ever heard came from Ron, in reference to a handful of other guitars finished in a similar red-to-black burst produced in 1968.
The name "Moonglo" came about because I had earlier acquired a 365 OS in an odd finish color that the seller swore was properly called "Moonglo". This finish color is very distinct from a dark FG -- it is very dark (opaque) around the edges and it may even have a touch of burgundy. It moves to a dark cherry ending in a medium-red center. For all I know the name was made up out of thin air. I've never seen this finish on a Rick other than these two, so I decided to stick with the distinct name. Besides, it's less cumbersome (and a bit more mysterious) than "Darkcherryglo."
That leaves us with a few possibilities:

- In communicating with dealers (or internally), Rickenbacker was referring to the 1968 red-to-black burst guitars as Moonglo. Access to company invoices would answer this.

- Confabulation from you or your brother, which is natural over the course of 40-50 years.

***Kelly, M. & Kelly, P. (2021) "Rickenbacker Guitars: Out of the Frying Pan and Into The Fireglo", 198-199, 334
pauleway

Post by pauleway »

sloop_john_b wrote:
pauleway wrote: My brother worked in a music store in the early 70's to the early 80's and said that there were Rickenbacker guitars that came into the store and were designated as "MoonGlo", and that was over forty years ago. That seems to shoot R. O'keefe's story down!!

That leaves us with a few possibilities:

- In communicating with dealers (or internally), Rickenbacker was referring to the 1968 red-to-black burst guitars as Moonglo. Access to company invoices would answer this.

- Confabulation from you or your brother, which is natural over the course of 40-50 years.

***Kelly, M. & Kelly, P. (2021) "Rickenbacker Guitars: Out of the Frying Pan and Into The Fireglo", 198-199, 334

All I know is that way before any book came out, in the very early 70's, there were guitars shipped to Kubera's Music Store in Buffalo N.Y. that were referred to as MoonGlo. Whether that was the official Rickenbacker name, they did come in with that name color. I could never find "MoonGlo" as a designated Rickenbacker finish, but they did come into the store with that designation!
collin

Post by collin »

pauleway wrote: I could never find "MoonGlo" as a designated Rickenbacker finish, but they did come into the store with that designation!
Because it wasn’t.

And no, they didn’t.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

collin wrote:

Otherwise, it was just referred to as "Autumnglo" at Radio-Tel, which had a few different shades over various years.
Correct.

See my post on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=416278
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

Petty 1997.JPG
Back on Topic! Here's my 1997.

Same model/color scheme that Tom used.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcgEf1kJ3wo

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”