Rose Morris Rickenbacker Gallery

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

scotty

Re: Rose Morris Rickenbacker Gallery

Post by scotty »

Another little January gem DA94 A dreamy 1998 from the Register.In the words of Mr sanders......LUSH.. :D
Attachments
2-fullsize (1).jpg
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

scotty wrote:Another little January gem DA94 A dreamy 1998 from the Register.In the words of Mr sanders......LUSH.. :D
bah Scotty, is that the best ya can do?...another common-as-muck Fireglo 1998!

Now, here's a proper rare three pick up beasty - a '66 in Autumglo... 8)
Attachments
1966 Autumnglo Rose Morris model 1998.jpg
scotty

Post by scotty »

Ahh but alas it was the Jan 64 dates that made this one for the selection 50 years old nearly the same as you Eddie :wink:
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

scotty wrote:Ahh but alas it was the Jan 64 dates that made this one for the selection 50 years old nearly the same as you Eddie :wink:
....and I'm afraid to say Scotty, as with so many of us of a similar age, although superficially it may look in good condition, on closer inspection you immediately notice the evidence of breaks/repairs! :wink: :lol:

It's a sad fact that many of the original Rose Morris export guitars have had the neck break/repair (mostly in the same place as the 1998 you pictured). One guitar which I was recently surprised to learn had suffered the same fate was the well known 1993 in Dave's collection - see video footage in the link below from 26.00 onwards. When I'd seen this guitar pictured and discussed before, I always thought it was an unusual example of an original 1993 which had survived intact and in excellent condition - so this video was a bit of a Christmas shocker! :( Almost as shocking as the "expert" in Dave's shop thinking it was a model 1996!! :shock:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/2 ... -shop-tour
Attachments
Scottys 1998 with neck repair.jpg
davesguitars 1993 1.jpg
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

Eddie: As you may or may not remember, two years ago, I had the chance to play Dave's famed 1993 and take pictures for the register. It was a guitar that had a history all it's own. Dave showed me the crack, and he couldn't believe how well it's held up all these years. FWIW, the strings he uses are a custom set of D'Addario Chromes that he made himself. He told me it would be one of the last guitars in his collection he'd ever let go of, and one of his personal favorites.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... ted%3Dtrue
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=403479
k43rover
Intermediate Member

Post by k43rover »

JakeK wrote:Eddie: As you may or may not remember, two years ago, I had the chance to play Dave's famed 1993 and take pictures for the register. It was a guitar that had a history all it's own. Dave showed me the crack, and he couldn't believe how well it's held up all these years. FWIW, the strings he uses are a custom set of D'Addario Chromes that he made himself. He told me it would be one of the last guitars in his collection he'd ever let go of, and one of his personal favorites.

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... ted%3Dtrue
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=403479

Hi Jake. Many thanks for those links. I didn't pick up on that post about your visit to Dave's store. That must have been a truly memorable trip for you and it's great to see the pic of you with the 1993. 8) For people who are able to physically visit Dave's store, it's fantastic that he allows such close up access to the guitars in his collection. Regarding the point about the neck break/repair, I don't see mention of it in your thread about the visit. Maybe I missed this information in your other posts or discussions elsewhere about Dave's 1993, but as far as I'm aware the recent video article on the Premier Guitar website is the first time this particular information about the guitar has come into the wider public domain. Regardless, as your pictures and comments confirm, it's obviously still a great looking and playing guitar and one that I'm sure we'd all be delighted to own! :D

I note with interest your point about this 1993 having "a history all its own"....is there more detail you can share on that?
scotty

Post by scotty »

Yeah thanks for sharing that Jake i missed your original post.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Just today i saw this pic and i hadent seen it before it shows Pete with the 360/12 OS. A nice close up shot of the guitar that i thought a few would like to see. Incidentally didnt that Danny De`lacy have one similar?

http://www.rickenbacker.com/gallery_ima ... _year=1960
Attachments
tumblr_mu3kawiATx1rv43zto1_1280.jpg
TSS

Post by TSS »

I'm really enjoying this thread, thankyou. It's good to remember a time when the company knew how to make beautiful and exciting guitars. More please. :D
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

scotty wrote:Just today i saw this pic and i hadent seen it before it shows Pete with the 360/12 OS. A nice close up shot of the guitar that i thought a few would like to see. Incidentally didnt that Danny De`lacy have one similar?

Did DeLacy own it or was he just playing it for a trade show? The only pictures I've seen of him look like he's playing it at a trade show.
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

image.jpg

Don't know if this counts as an RM guitar, but this was a Christmas present from my wife--totally unexpected!
collin

Post by collin »

scotty wrote:Just today i saw this pic and i hadent seen it before it shows Pete with the 360/12 OS. A nice close up shot of the guitar that i thought a few would like to see. Incidentally didnt that Danny De`lacy have one similar?

There is speculation that the one Danny De'Lacey is holding IS the same guitar that was sent to Pete. It's really hard to tell from the plain wood grain. They made a few of these early 360S/12 models in early '64, presumably for the trade show that De'lacy was at, and also became the "sample" that they sent to Rose Morris which became the 1993...which was sold to Townshend.

It or another guitar like it is pictured on page 91 of Richard Smith's book, in B&W.

Jeffrey Foskett (ex. Beach Boys) owns one that he bought from David Marks (early Beach Boys..), and I know another guy online who owns one bought off eBay, so there were at least three made...
collin

Post by collin »

Clifton wrote: Don't know if this counts as an RM guitar, but this was a Christmas present from my wife--totally unexpected!
Not quite (not RM and headstock is backwards...) but it sure is a nice C64, congrats!
Clifton

Post by Clifton »

collin wrote: Not quite (not RM and headstock is backwards...) but it sure is a nice C64, congrats!
Thanks! I've been looking for a nice Fire-Glo V63 or C64 for years. We were at a guitar shop in Austin, looking for a travel guitar for my wife, when we noticed this bass. It's in near mint condition--I think the original owner bought it as an investment, since it really looked unplayed. Looked like it still had the original strings on it. The store owner said that he traded it against a different bass, so it worked out great for me!
scotty

Post by scotty »

collin wrote:

There is speculation that the one Danny De'Lacey is holding IS the same guitar that was sent to Pete. It's really hard to tell from the plain wood grain. They made a few of these early 360S/12 models in early '64, presumably for the trade show that De'lacy was at, and also became the "sample" that they sent to Rose Morris which became the 1993...which was sold to Townshend.

It or another guitar like it is pictured on page 91 of Richard Smith's book, in B&W.

Jeffrey Foskett (ex. Beach Boys) owns one that he bought from David Marks (early Beach Boys..), and I know another guy online who owns one bought off eBay, so there were at least three made...
So Danny was presumably just playing this at the trade show and its a possibility thats it the same one Pete got,thats pretty cool Collin.
Heres a shot of the said guitar from Richard Smith's book (Everyone tilt your head to the left for the older generation you might hear a crack ingore it)
Attachments
unnamed.jpg

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”