DIY case humidifiers

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

walker
Advanced Member

DIY case humidifiers

Post by walker »

I made a couple of these things via the soap dish & sponge method, but the sponges can get moldy pretty quick. Anyone else have mold problems with their case humidifiers? And subsequent solutions... would adding a little bit of bleach to the water before soaking the sponge and wringing it out help?
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: DIY case humidifiers

Post by kiramdear »

I'd be worried to lock up some bleachy anything with my guitar's finish. :shock:
All I wanna do is rock!
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

I've been using a sponge in a plastic baggy leaving the zip mostly open. So far no mold. To keep the schooner water tanks fresh I use a less than a cap full of bleach to fifty gallons of water, I wouldn't think you'd need very much. The other trick I've heard of is micro waving the sponge to kill bacteria and mold spores (never tried it).
walker
Advanced Member

Post by walker »

I would definitely be careful about using too much bleach or allowing the bleached water to come into direct contact with the guitar. Last night I noticed that the sponge was smelling moldy again, so I did the microwave trick after soaping and wringing out the sponge thoroughly. I used "Anti-bacterial soap" and left a bit of it in the sponge before wringing it out again, putting it back in the holder then into the case.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Yes, I seem to recall that it's been mentioned in the past that chlorine is particularly detrimental to CV finishes...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
rickenbrother
RRF Moderator

Post by rickenbrother »

The microwaving trick that Ted mentions is probably a good way to go.
The JETGLO finish name should be officially changed to JETGLO ROCKS! :-)
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

There's something that is sold at health food stores called GSE, (Grapefruit Seed Extract) and it has a lot of applications; it's plant-based, safe for human consumption, and is a natural antiseptic. I use it in the bedroom humidifiers to curb microbial growth, as a mouthwash, as an additive for nasal irrigation, and I have also used it in those water filtration pitchers to keep them from growing algae. Using GSE in the humidifiers has significantly reduced cleaning frequency, and when I do clean them: there's virtually no growth to clean-out. The same goes for our drinking water pitcher, which used to turn green if the sun was on it for a couple of days before we started adding 2 drops of GSE per fill. The bottles seem kind of expensive, but they are pretty economical, considering that just a few drops will do for most applications.

I'd suspect a sponge soaked in a small dish of water containing maybe 5-10 drops of dissolved GSE and then wrung-out would do well to curb microbial growth, but I haven't tried it myself. It's got to be better than bleach, considering it's just seed extract suspended in vegetable glycerin.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

GSE is interesting stuff. One of my good friends is about to finish her PhD showing its efficacy in treating late-stage colon cancer. In my department, we look on stuff like GSE like snake oil because most of it is... and yet GSE has by and large lived up to a lot of the hype around it. I can't think of too many other herbal products that have done that besides the cannabinoids.
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Use distilled water!

Your sponge will last a lot longer before it molds up.
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”