Post Gig Blues

Entertainment

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jimk
RRF Consultant

Post Gig Blues

Post by jimk »

We had a pretty good show last night. The new guy in the band is going to work out just fine. He's a good singer, and that's what we wanted. Now we really can do those 3 part harmonies that are so dear to my heart.

But what I really wanted to ask is, does anyone else have that after gig let-down? I should be practicing but man, I just can't get motivated. I'd rather hang out on the RRF, or play computer solitaire; anything but music right now.
JimK
paologregorio

Re: Post Gig Blues

Post by paologregorio »

I used to call it "post-gig burnout," but yes. :)

Having a lovely girlfriend, and too much of everything else to do mitigates this. . .
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

I can relate. After that adrenalin rush of everybody playing off each other at a good gig everything else pales. I need silence on the way home & unless some inspiring idea comes to me I don't feel like playing the next day. Music hangover perhaps? :mrgreen:
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

School and work are keeping me from playing as much as I want to. I try to play when I get home from work and there's no one in the house so I can crank up and dig in, but there are just those days that just tax me.

I've been spending more time playing acoustic than anything else, but even then, it's hard to get motivated. Not in a band, no family/friend booked acoustic solo gigs lined up presently and the aforementioned job and school.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Badanovski wrote: Music hangover perhaps? :mrgreen:
That was the other choice of words I thought of using to describe the feeling. :mrgreen:
JimK
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

It's a phenomena that you have to find a way to put behind you if you are touring. Especially if you have just had an incredibly tight night on stage with a very responsive audience.

I found that is precisely when I would experience trouble sleeping because the adrenalin was pumping away like crazy. The next day in another city the band would feel the stress to duplicate the success of the night before.

It's a tough life being a touring musician. 8)
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

I've sometimes wondered if four hours 3 feet away from an active drummer didn't give me a mild concussion.
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

winston wrote:It's a phenomena that you have to find a way to put behind you if you are touring. Especially if you have just had an incredibly tight night on stage with a very responsive audience.

I found that is precisely when I would experience trouble sleeping because the adrenalin was pumping away like crazy. The next day in another city the band would feel the stress to duplicate the success of the night before.

I think I know whereof you speak, Brian. I had a little taste back in the mid-90s, playing with a folk trio called The 97th Regimental String Band. The roughest was the first few days of a 10 day run at Silver Dollar City, a theme park in the Ozarks of southern Missouri. But then about the fourth day, you hit some sort of a wall, and after that, it became just like working in a factory; up at 7, go to the employees' cafeteria, grab breakfast and coffee, and on to your first show of the day when the gates opened. There were other tours I made with that band. And ever since, I've had this little junkie type thing in the back of my head "Oh, please, just once more, please?" Fun times.
JimK
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I think it's normal to feel a slump after any peak experience. It's OK to sleep it off till you come back to Earth.
All I wanna do is rock!
JakeK
RRF Consultant

Post by JakeK »

winston wrote:It's a phenomena that you have to find a way to put behind you if you are touring. Especially if you have just had an incredibly tight night on stage with a very responsive audience.

So this is why the Stones don't play too many shows anymore? :lol:
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

JakeK wrote:

So this is why the Stones don't play too many shows anymore? :lol:
Ha! Could be they've taken Kira's advice and they're....um.....sleepin' it off. Yeah, that's it. :lol: :lol:
JimK
winston
Membership Admin

Post by winston »

I never thought about sleeping it off...............but then I was not an old man at the time like the Stones are now. In their case "Time is On Their Side" :lol:
“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.” - Albert Einstein

"You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother" - Albert Einstein
kenposurf
RRF Consultant

Post by kenposurf »

The best cure is for the band to go out for a post gig meal.
Often being tired or needing to get back to the family etc can make this difficult but if the WHOLE band takes an extra hour and just hits a diner or pizza joint it's good for the soul..reinforces the brotherhood of the band and is a nice segue from one world to another 8)
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

I have been in bands that did that. And you're right. Those are some good times, and a good way to decompress.
JimK
necrobacker

Post by necrobacker »

post gig come down......simple solution to that is: BOOZE!!!! sweet glorious booze!!!

2-3pints of lager normally does the trick 8)
Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
Orange AD200b MrkIII
Orange OBC 115 Bass Cabinet

Voodooo Lab Power Plus 2
Boss TU-3
Electro Harmoniz Big Muff Bass Pi
Digitech Xseries Bass Synth Wah
Boss CH3
Boss BF3

Return to “On Stage”