Book launch event(s)

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

bassduke49

Book launch event(s)

Post by bassduke49 »

As most of you know, my book is due out in early July, and I've been toying with ideas about a book launch event or events. I'd like to get the Forumites feedback on my ideas. First, probably in mid- to late July, I'll have the first event here in the Milwaukee area. This will likely be similar to a small confluence (location and date not yet arranged), similar to the one we did here in June 2011. This is open to anyone, of course, but I'd like to encourage people to bring Rickenbacker instruments (especially basses for obvious reasons). My book will be for sale, likely having Gary Hahlbeck of North Coast Music supplying the stock (if you haven't obtained a copy by then), and I will be available for signing if you like. I would also like to use this event as an opportunity to sell off "most" of my Rickenbacker basses. Call me crazy, but I am of the opinion that I should no longer "Bogart" these lovely instruments. I'm no longer in a band, I haven't played much in the past couple of years, and don't see becoming a rocks star in my future. :lol: I'll hang on to three or four, but the rest should be "distributed." Giving attendees of this event first crack at them seems fair; cash and carry, no shipping hassles, etc. As with the last Milwaukee event, there will NOT be an arranged "gig" as is typical of larger confluences.

I've also been talking with Chris Clayton at Pick of the Ricks about an east-coast event, likely in early autumn. Chris is considering having a MARF-type event along with a book-signing opportunity. Neither one of us can afford to host an event on our own, and he feels that the debut of the book is worth celebrating and that might push him to host once again. Chris takes on quite a financial risk with these events, what with table rentals, catering, etc. All it takes is lousy weather and poor attendance to make hosting an event unattractive. So, IF this can be arranged, dates will be announced later.

I'm also going to be in the Denver area in mid August and want to hear from the Colorado contingent if there is any interest in at least getting together over a beer and burger(?).

So what say you?

(I'll also post this in the Bass section)
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Re: Book launch event(s)

Post by kiramdear »

Let me know if you hit the left coast! :)
All I wanna do is rock!
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Paul, I'm in for an East Coast event and if I can help in any way, please do not hesitate to ask.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Except for one weekend in August I am free to do whatever. Another WisCon® could be fun. 8)

Of course, MARF V/BoyerCon® would be just as fun, too. 8)
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

I can probably make the East Coast event at PoTR if it's on a Sunday. (My Saturdays are already booked.)
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Looks like Pick of the Ricks will not hold a MARF this year. John Williams and John Simmons are thinking about something in the SouthEast, though. We'll see.
leftybass
RRF Consultant

Post by leftybass »

bassduke49 wrote:Looks like Pick of the Ricks will not hold a MARF this year. John Williams and John Simmons are thinking about something in the SouthEast, though. We'll see.
Oh I'll go to an event in the South if it is held, but I must say I'm not part of the planning of it.....it's a 'John and John' affair, I'm just not one of 'em. :wink:

I really hope they put it on, I can see it being a great event.
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Oops. I got the wrong John. Happens to me all the time. You should hear the women scream! :lol:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

bassduke49 wrote:Oops. I got the wrong John. Happens to me all the time. You should hear the women scream! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: [shakes head]
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”