MILWAUKEE CONFLUENCE 2013

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: MILWAUKEE CONFLUENCE 2013

Post by cjj »

sloop_john_b wrote:Great folks and great guitars! Wish I could have made this one!
+1!
Thanks for posting all of the pictures for those of us who could not be there!
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

Couple more shots: Another view of The 20 with dutiful Dorothy pulling out her knitting. Note the stack of books ready for signing:
Boyer1web.jpg
From the other side of The 20:
Boyer2web.jpg
Don't forget, many of these are for sale. See the For Sale section and search for "Clear Cut" sale items!
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
360girl

Post by 360girl »

I had fun! Thanks for hosting the confluence Paul! :D Bill, thanks for letting me play your "RCA" 360/12. Yeah, it sounds different with its mini-humbuckers, but it sounds and plays VERY nice! 8)

Joe & Amy - thanks for the CD! It's in rotation as (musical) road food for my commute to and from work. Good stuff! 8)

Ellen
rickaddict

Post by rickaddict »

Hey kids!

Had a fun time at the confluence. As usual, it was nice to see old friends, make new friends, and to ogle all of those nice instruments. Plus we had the added bonus of getting to flip through Paul's book. Congrats again Paul, and thanks for hosting the event. The venue works very well for our purposes, and the price (zero) is hard to beat! We coulda used a drum kit, a few mics (with singers) and a back line, but hey...maybe next time!

To answer your questions:
woodyng wrote:Love that Ruby (?) 4003s! Very nice collection, Jeff! (Don't you also own an S fretless?)
Thanks Woody! I love the Ruby S too. And it plays and sounds as good as it looks. I like big honkin' strings though! No TI Jazz flats on that bass. And this one takes all that neck abuse like a champ.

I do still have the 4003S FL, but it's been in my storage space for a while. :( Here are some old photos of it to tie you over! I've done some work on it since these photos were taken and I thought I had posted new photos in the register, but maybe not. Changes made were: replacing the big, high-tension bridge cables with vintage RIC tape wound strings; replacing the chrome top knobs with some proper S knobs; and removing that pesky ash tray that does nothing but get in my way!

http://www.rickresource.com/register/vi ... ine%3Dtrue

I could have brought more basses, but I'm not getting any younger and I had to lug all of this stuff down the stairs from my 2nd floor apartment by myself. It was sweltering in Chicago as I was packing up the car, and I just didn't feel up to making the extra stop at my storage space to pick up more stuff.
jps wrote:Did JT bring his B15R?

I left the B15R at home also due to heat, stairs, no helpers, and spinal cord paranoia. It's still a favorite though. I unplugged it and wheeled it away from the wall and into the center of my practice room, but that's as far as it got! 8)
jps wrote: Good thing he doesn't own an SVT (to the best of my knowledge)! :lol: But, I certainly understand, that's why I have a...
Actually...I DO have an SVT! But for now it sits in my storage space collecting dust, hoping for the day when Daryl Jones tires of his current arrangement and I'm called on to replace him. 8) In the meantime, I also have a pretty nice lightweight amp that I can gig with... but it doesn't quite deliver the same herculean haymaker punch of the SVT.

8)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

rickaddict wrote:Actually...I DO have an SVT! But for now it sits in my storage space collecting dust, hoping for the day when Daryl Jones tires of his current arrangement and I'm called on to replace him. 8) In the meantime, I also have a pretty nice lightweight amp that I can gig with... but it doesn't quite deliver the same herculean haymaker punch of the SVT.

8)
8) You're a better man, I couldn't think of moving one of those, ever! Not at my age, for sure! :wink:

Even back in the early '80s when I was (I think) much younger I still loved the idea of small, lightweight, compact amps. I found a used Walter Woods MI100-8 and (almost) never looked back. These days my Walter Woods Super and Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 fill the bill quite nicely with my relatively lightweight LDS cabinets. And, my Markbass Minimark is pretty darn amazing for such a small combo amp. :wink: The first amp that I owned was a Traynor YBA-3A that was quite heavy as I recall but then I was still a teen so weight meant nothing to me (I remember being able to move Marshall 4-12 cabs by myself back then, too).
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

Is that a 380/12 RCA? Don't see those pop up very often. Is that one of Bill H's instruments? 8) 8) Looks like everyone had a nice time showing off instruments and jammin'!!
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

It's an RCA, but I think (not an expert on six-stringers) that it predates the 380 designation. It can certainly be considered related or possibly a precursor of the 380L Laguna. But they never (?) made a Laguna 12-stringer.
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
byu
Intermediate Member

Post by byu »

I don't have the info with me at the moment but I believe the official designation is 360/12SPC for special. Maybe 360/12SPC RCA.
clatter

Post by clatter »

Hey everyone!

Just got home late last night – ended up driving home over two days so we could wander around Iowa a while.

Anyway, we had the best time EVER! Totally worth the trip! It was so great to meet all of you and hang out all day messing around with basses. The time just flew by! Thanks so much, Paul, for putting this together! I know you and Dorothy worked hard and stayed late, so we wanted to be sure to let you know how much it was appreciated!! And thanks to all of you who brought basses and educated us about the endless array of options and mods. Wish we could have helped you load and unload at home! :)

I am terrible at sorting and eliminating photos (guess that's why my photo library has over 66,000 pics), so I've just uploaded most of what Joe and I took and put them on Flickr. Hope you enjoy them! Most of these are pretty much the same as what you've already seen… :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45953368@N ... 763040233/
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

On the contrary,plenty of different pics in there,Thanks for posting/linking those,Amy!
clatter

Post by clatter »

Thanks, Woody!!

By the way, we've been contemplating a move out your way! In fact, Brookings looks a lot like the area we had in mind! So don't be surprised if you see us on a fact-finding mission in a few weeks… :D
clatter

Post by clatter »

Oh, and forgot to mention that Bill's band Bob's Yer Uncle rocked us across Wisconsin and Iowa and helped us stay awake through mile after neverending mile of corn fields! :D
8mileshigher

MILWAUKEE CONFLUENCE 2013

Post by 8mileshigher »

Nice Confluence pictures, Amy & Joe. Thanks for posting the link.
Roberthathaway

Post by Roberthathaway »

Thanks to Amy from Clatter and the serendipidous sequence of events that led me to the Milwaukee Confluence on Sunday @ 10:00am and the patience shown by Paul Boyer as I sat in front of him for 2 hours playing basses, which was truly a pleasure, trying to decide between one of three that I liked. Ultimately, everything kind of blends together and I had to leave with nothing telling Paul I would have to sleep on the decision. Then I made a decision, drove to Paul's house in Cederburg, on Monday with the words of my wife, who said; "don't settle, get what you want", I scored this 4001V63 that is on pages 82 and 83 of Paul book. So thank you to Paul, Amy and Joe, to my wife, a the rest of the Rickenbacker community for making a dream come true, and leaving this one for me.
me and my 4001v63.jpg
clatter

Post by clatter »

OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!

That's the best EVER!!! Thank you so much for posting! I'm just sorry we weren't able to hang out on Saturday! It would have been so great to meet you in person. Maybe next time!! (There WILL BE a next time, won't there, Paul?! *hint, hint*)

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”