330/12 Issues

Vintage, Modern, V & C Series, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

Folkie
Advanced Member

330/12 Issues

Post by Folkie »

I just took my 330/12 to my tech for a routine setup and restringing. Since it left the shop, I've noticed that the low A course, when played open, has a very noticeable buzz and rattle. I have never had this problem before. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Is it likely to be a bridge issue?
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: 330/12 Issues

Post by libratune »

For starters, make sure all 4 bridge height adjustment screws are snug into their "dimples" on the bridgeplate.
david/wales/u.k

Post by david/wales/u.k »

He has worked on your other guitars though hasn't he? If you don't live too far from him and have confidence in him than i would pop it back to him. He has been paid to do a job so let him put it right!! :P ( especially if there is nothing conspicously wrong such as loose/ill fitting screws e.t.c) This seems to happen a lot when Techs set up Rics though doesn't it? There are lots of posts of people complaining about buzz/rattle e.t.c after the Tech has done some work on the guitar. ( I have genuinley noticed with my guitar that it seems to settle down later on though and definitely, i don't care what anyone says, seems to 'right' itself)
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I did take the guitar back to my tech, and we appear to have that rattle under control, although the low E is not intonating properly and may be a defective string.

I actually have two techs: one who is widely considered to be the best in the city, but who charges three times as much as the other and is always backed up at least a month with repairs (that's the one I took my new George Harrison model to); and one who does faster, but very careful, work at a fraction of the price (the one I took my 330/12 to). I had a very bad experience with a third tech, who works at one of the chain stores, so now I rely on just these two.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: by John Simmons”