Banning of Rickenbacker on basschat uk

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

geofio

Banning of Rickenbacker on basschat uk

Post by geofio »

I am a member of basschat uk and at this very moment they are having a member poll on banning anything to do with Rickenbacker be it discussion or selling an instrument. i find this situation pathetic!!!!
johnhall
RIC

Re: Banning of Rickenbacker on basschat uk

Post by johnhall »

Cool! I'd vote for a ban!

When you put a group of people who neither respect nor understand the law together in one place, nothing good comes from it.
geofio

Post by geofio »

I just find the whole thing childish mr hall. there are a lot of ric fans in the uk. but you will never win on basschat, i gave up arguing about it.
Ashgray
Intermediate Member

Post by Ashgray »

What goes on in other fora is of little interest to me - I for one consider RickResource to be the best and most appropriate forum for me to discuss any Rickenbacker-related issues. I've not been here long but I had a sincere welcome since re-kindling my 40 year old interest in Rickenbacker basses and have received a lot of helpful advice.

Whilst vastly experienced with Rick basses, I'm rather less so with Rick-related internet fora, but since I've been here I've learned much from the many sources of valuable information and I can respect the views, perspectives and candidness of the people who have been generous enough to reply to my "newby" questions. I'll happily continue to read posts here with considerable interest, learning all the time, and contribute what I can. If other fora choose to descend to the level of the school playground, that's for them to justify but it does seem rather pointless and contrary to the spirit of why anyone would want to sign up to such fora in the first place. :wink:
1976 4001 "Shadow" Fretless
1978 4002 Walnut
1986 4008 Silver
1999 4001 V63 White
2012 4004 Jetglo

Button 6 String Fretfull
Button 6 String Fretless
NS CR5 Omni Bass Fretless
Ashbory Bass
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

johnhall wrote:Cool! I'd vote for a ban!

When you put a group of people who neither respect nor understand the law together in one place, nothing good comes from it.
Banning the sale and promotion of Rickenbacker instruments on one of the largest bass guitar websites on the internet does not harm them, only the brand. A lot of people are being alienated by this move.
geofio

Post by geofio »

correct Erik
geofio

Post by geofio »

I am just making the point the last place i expect to find politics is playing my Bass guitar or the brand of bass i play. it's quite sad really.
electrofaro

Post by electrofaro »

geofio wrote:I just find the whole thing childish mr hall. there are a lot of ric fans in the uk. but you will never win on basschat, i gave up arguing about it.
Of course you can never win! This "hamster" is the one who is childish in his reasoning, as he writes:
I think it's quite common knowledge that John Hall from Rickenbacker fiercely defends his company's copyrights and designs. I don't think anyone has a problem with that. He has an absolute right to do that
Yet basically at that point this "hamster" starts whinging that RIC actually uses that right to it's full extent, which, as the "hamster" admits in the line above, is RIC's basic right, which he just said he has no problem with... let them bann the brand, maybe some really interested people might find here!

Things like that is why I quit every music forum except this one (thanks Peter and the Mods (good band name) for keeping this forum clean!)
'67 Fender Coronado II CAB * '17 1963 ES-335 PB * currently rickless
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Im all for banning for sale adds of all Rickenbacker copies. but not all Rickenbacker content on the forum, like it or not, Rickenbacker are one of the most ironic guitar designs ever.
Consider the source ... :roll: :roll: :lol:
All I wanna do is rock!
Deep Release

Post by Deep Release »

Groucho Marx wrote:Please accept my resignation. I don't want to belong to any club that will accept people like me as a member.
:lol:
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

Considering the ignorance and stupidity that gets posted on other forums about RIC all the time (there are some hilarious conspiracy theories people seem to invent every so often), I would be happy to see them quell the topic (though I guess it doesn't affect me if I don't visit the forums).

I remember seeing all kinds of nonsense on TalkBass, like this guy claiming that Ric basses always neck dive a couple years ago. Lots of people came out of the woodwork to say they didn't share that experience, even people who didn't frequent Ric threads, and he basically responded that all of those people were wrong or liars. It was simultaneously irritating and one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The innernetz brings some pretty stupid people out of hiding.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

They only come out of hiding because they think that on the internet they are still hiding...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

cassius987 wrote: It was simultaneously irritating and one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The innernetz brings some pretty stupid people out of hiding.
What's irritating is the systematic damage RIC's aggressive corporate stance has done to it's brand recognition. Part of the reason I post here, aside from the great community, is because I can't actaully talk about them anywhere else without being met with negativity over the way their business is conducted.

I wish I could have a conversation about a group of instruments I love without having to play politics with people more concerned about what the company is doing than their guitars. I wish that talking about Rickenbacker instruments anywhere other than our bubble of Rick fans didn't feel like an uphill struggle. Christ, it's not supposed to be this complicated.

We should be trying to mend fences not saying "fine, who needs them!".
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

Don't let it get to you.
Rickenbackers aren't mainstream instruments, their appearance and sound (which go very well together) are not what your average Joe is after.
Let alone that he understands them.
It's like the recording engineer that moans he doesn't know how to record a Rick, before you even turned on the amp.
It says more about the engineer that about your instrument.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

cassius987 wrote:Considering the ignorance and stupidity that gets posted on other forums about RIC all the time (there are some hilarious conspiracy theories people seem to invent every so often), I would be happy to see them quell the topic (though I guess it doesn't affect me if I don't visit the forums).

I remember seeing all kinds of nonsense on TalkBass, like this guy claiming that Ric basses always neck dive a couple years ago. Lots of people came out of the woodwork to say they didn't share that experience, even people who didn't frequent Ric threads, and he basically responded that all of those people were wrong or liars. It was simultaneously irritating and one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The innernetz brings some pretty stupid people out of hiding.

Wahhh, too funny Joshua!! That guy was at it again a week or so ago spouting the same garbage. He had some "retarded" test for determining neck dive that 98% of all guitars would fail. Between that thread and some other bull crud/chicken squat thread I sorta stuck my foot in my mouth and was chastised by a moderator. I immediately cancelled my user name on Talk Bass and posed a ban on myself from ever posting there again.

I realized I don't need the aggravation of posting on Talk Bass. Except for a handful of really good guys there the vast majority of TB members aren't worth the powder to blow them to hell!

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”