In search of better lead sustain

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

turner

Post by turner »

I hope I'm posting this in the right spot...

I am very happy with my gear set up with my band, but I feel the only spot it's missing a bit is when I do a lead that would require some sustain. I'm using guitar: a Rickenbacer 330 w/Higains. Amp: laney vc30. I've tried a Boss cs2 but I think it sucks all my tone and is the antithesis of sustain. Tried my Ibanez ts that I normally like with other gear, but not this. so I'm currently using my Vox valve tone pedal, I feel it's ok but I would like something that would give more "singing" sustain. Before I spend any more money I thought I would consult the experts...you guys :D
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: In search of better lead sustain

Post by doctorwho »

Jason, IMO you might want to cross-post this under the "Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone" section:

viewforum.php?f=44

I personally don't use effects pedals, so I can't be of further use! :shock: :roll: :) 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Use a length of 1/2 inch diameter dowl to press fit inside the guitar underneath the bridge via the bridge p/up cavity as a sustain block. Also, buy a Mastery Bridge. You will notice an increase in volume and sustain.
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

The list of reasons could be endless. Are your strings dead? What guage are they? Are you playing at bedroom volume or stage volume? There are a lot of knobs on your guitar, amp and pedals, have you tweaked them all? What kind of finger vibrato are you using? Have you tried a Les Paul? Sorry, I'm just no help at all.
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

You're going to want one of these somewhere in your signal chain:

For reals though, Rickenbackers are not really known for sustain. You could try removing pedals and just cranking your amp? (My solution for everything)
Last edited by deaconblues on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Clint wrote:Have you tried a Les Paul? Sorry, I'm just no help at all.
Just saw this... :lol:
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

Clint wrote:Have you tried a Les Paul? Sorry, I'm just no help at all.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

In fact, that is what I use when I need that kind of singing sustain!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Have you tried a 650 model with neck-through, solid-body construction, wider fretboard, bigger size frets, a dense, solid Bridge-tailpiece and HB1 pickups ? ? These Ric 650 series guitars were designed for fulfilling many "wants" of lead-guitarists ....
Ric5150

Post by Ric5150 »

Jason,
If your looking to keep the same basic sound with just a little more drive, I've found this to be one of the better clean boost pedals out there (IMO). Other boosts sound great with Fenders, but seem to me to color the tone more than I want with a Ric.

http://www.catalinbread.com/SCP

Actually, I have an older Poblano Picoso which I like a little better, but its getting a little flaky so I bought the current counterpart and its pretty close (without having to be kicked alot :) )

I've run it with a 340 and 620 and it gets you a little further into the amp which gives a little more of a lead tone, provided your amp can take the added drive without flattening out too much. Not too familiar with your amp model, but it works pretty well with my H&K PureTone which is Class A. I have an AC-30, but really dont like the tone of it pushed too hard, so rarely use any boost with it. Short of changing to HB1s or using a different guitar or amp, that would be my suggestion. (My R8 Les Paul into my Peavey 5150 sustains for days :wink: )
Life is suffering; the cause of suffering is desire. Envy is a deadly sin. Save your soul, go ahead and buy another one....
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

8mileshigher wrote:Have you tried a 650 model with neck-through, solid-body construction, wider fretboard, bigger size frets, a dense, solid Bridge-tailpiece and HB1 pickups ? ? These Ric 650 series guitars were designed for fulfilling many "wants" of lead-guitarists ....
Sounds like he wants to improve the sustain on his 330, not buy another guitar. At that point why not just buy a Les Paul?
turner

Post by turner »

I just reposted in forum 51, as suggested. I am really happy with the set up I got. im in a 3 piece band where i am the only singer and guitar. i want to kerp things as simple as possiable. I was kind of wondering if a pedal would maybe sort it out. I may seek out the chili pedal suggested. The dowl rod wedged under the bridge sounds interesting- anything else I need to know about that?
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

I'd like to have a mostly solid-bodied 360WB model, maybe with the back removed and blocked with mahogany. I like the way a Les Paul sounds, but it would sound even better if it looked like a Rickenbacker. . .
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

Heavier strings/higher action would result in marginal sustain increase without a major change in tone. The dowel-as-sustain-block and mastery bridge ideas are steps further along this kind of path. To the best of my (inconsequential) knowledge, sustain pedals boost gain at the preamp stage, so they will all have some impact on tone. If you're after a crystal-clean sound, that might make things a little tough.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
bitzerguy
RRF Consultant

Post by bitzerguy »

turner wrote:I just reposted in forum 51, as suggested. I am really happy with the set up I got. im in a 3 piece band where i am the only singer and guitar. i want to kerp things as simple as possiable. I was kind of wondering if a pedal would maybe sort it out.
Check out the Blackstone Appliance. You can get the singing sustain with a 330 or a 360 or a 350 quite nicely.
...Dean
Never, ever drool on your surf shirt. It wrecks the solo.

660/12FG, 350V63/6FG, 620/6JG, 360WB/6DBG, Dingwall C1 #001, Prestige Heritage Elite FM

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”