330-12 Mod Question...

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

geckoman1220

330-12 Mod Question...

Post by geckoman1220 »

so I have my lovely '08 330-12, and I had a mod idea that hopefully isn't difficult to do and reversible. Lately I've noticed that I kinda grew out of the 12 string phase. It was just hard to find a place for it in any of my original stuff so i thought about selling it to get a 6 string. Then I though why no convert it to a 6 string?

So heres what I figure, tell me if i have it right or I'm wrong or missing some stuff:

* I was thinking i could buy a nut cut for 6 strings and some saddles for a 6 string rick and swap them out on my 12. then I could remove the extra 6 tuners and store all the extra parts for if I ever want to change it back.

Does that sound right?

*another question is that i assume the nut is glued in? would that be something I could change out, or would a luthier need to do it. Its not like i've never done work on guitars before. I've done refinishes, set ups, soldering, new electronics, but never changed a glued in nut.

I did temporarily remove the octave strings, so essentially it's a 6 string now. but the spacing is a bit odd.

Heres a pic of it in it's current state.
hallewa

Re: 330-12 Mod Question...

Post by hallewa »

I would play it as it is. You have a 6 saddle bridge (with 2 string slots on each)-- I'm not sure a 6 string 6 saddle bridge is going to make a very noticeable difference. You have a 12 String R tailpiece--But no need spend about $250 extra for a 6 string R tailpiece & then have to swap it all back. Swapping for a six string nut might help the less than perfect string spacing. You can do it. Nut is usually lightly glued in. Carefully tap out with good screwdriver or small flat chisel. Scrape out old glue in nut slot. Dilute glue & use lightly when you put the new one in.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”