McGuinn's amp/sound in late 1970s

Those who flock to The Byrds
kvalois

McGuinn's amp/sound in late 1970s

Post by kvalois »

Hi, everyone:

This may really be a Steve Lasko question, but:

I've been listening lately to the McGuinn, Clark, & Hillman's (and Crosby) San Francisco live CD (1978). I really like the SOUND of Roger's 12-string Rickenbacker here and during other "live" gigs (Bottom Line) during this era.

Does anyone know what type of amp/effects Roger used then?

Thanks!!! :D
donnellbw

Re: McGuinn's amp/sound in late 1970s

Post by donnellbw »

I can't speak for the late 1970's, but when I was in college (USF) around 1970 I remember going to a big show at the Cow Palace in south San Francisco which featured several bands (long before today's arena type productions). The BYRDS played and I recall them being VERY loud to the ppint of overwhelming the vocals. But it was all plugged straight into Fender Showman amps, so it was not mixed well just in your face. You could heard McGuinn well enough, but it was Fender punch and not really compressed singular jangle - kind of a "Beatles at Shea Stadium" 'white noise' sound; no subtlety at all.

Kind of disappointing that there was so little attention paid to front of house mixing back then. I think the rule was: the louder the "better". I saw CREAM live at Winterland in the same period, but the volume and mix in their case obviously didn't matter: they were just an amazing freight train running through the building!

DonnellBW ('94 360 12 mapleglo with 12Ks).
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Thanks, Donnell!! I went to a bunch of Byrds concerts in the early 70s-- and I know what you mean!!! :D
manta
Intermediate Member

Post by manta »

I saw McGuinn at The Roxy in L.A. around the time of the Jolly Roger release (1976 - Cardiff Rose album). The sound was great then. Mixed well with McGuinn's RIC and his voice dominating the set. If I remember right we sat right in front or very close to it so I could watch him play. I had a FG 330/6 at the time and was looking for anything I could to pick up a trick or two. I was amazed at his finger picking style, which I have never come close to duplicating and has to be the key to his unique style. I recall some kind of Fender amps on stage back then as well. The other guy on the bill that night was old dirty, low down Boz Scaggs. Not a bad night. McGuinn's band left when group Scaggs came on and I wasn't able to go back and look at the amp set-up, but the old Byrds songs had that Byrd sound so he was using some sort of compression. 8)
Manta (Tim Rock)
http://www.mantaraymusic.com
1993 Plus FG, 730L-12, 4001FL, Danelectro 6/12, Storyboard Strat
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Thanks, Tim:

It looks like Roger mostly used Fender amps, with some kind of compression.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”