Weekly jazz combo sets in Denver

Let Us Know About Your Performances Past, Present and Future
cassius987

Weekly jazz combo sets in Denver

Post by cassius987 »

For Denverites (and surrounding area-ites): first and last Fridays of each month there will be a jazz gig held at 28th and Walnut, no cover charge, either in the winery (Mile High Winery http://www.milehighwinery.com/) on last Fridays or the gallery/studio next door (Sosu Creative Labs http://sosucreative.com/) on first Fridays for the RiNo District Art Walk. Obviously there's some Ric content, as I play bass. Typically there's 1.5-2 hours of music, with no cover charge. The SoSu portion of Art Walk features our jazz and black and white photography. Cheese and wine are served for a donation, and the winery serves several Colorado red and white wines as well as local cheeses. Food trucks often stop by when we play. Member skychurch (Jim) has seen me play a couple of times and can provide an unbiased opinion of whether it's worth your time. If you enjoy jazz I encourage you to check it out. I'd be happy to meet you and talk music, Rics and whatever else is on your mind.

The other two weeks of each month we will be providing house band support to SoSu's workshops, which include whiskey tasting, bike building, and workshops on running form. It's an eclectic (and talented) bunch. Workshops are available on a paid basis. If you're interested I can get you contact info for the organizers.

joshua

p.s.: For those curious, I play my 4001FL or my 4003FL depending on how I feel that night, through my custom LDS rig. We typically feature sax, keys and a four-piece kit as well as some occasional guest horns. The players are quite skilled, it's been a thrill for me to be in a competent jazz combo again and get to hear some great arrangements and improvisation from each of the members.
skychurch

Re: Weekly jazz combo sets in Denver

Post by skychurch »

I can indeed give an unbiased opinion of the Mile High Winery and Joshua's band.

My wife and I went a few weeks ago to meet up with Joshua, hear his band and enjoy the wine and cheese. The Mile High Winery has a very relaxing atmosphere. As Joshua mentioned, they serve some excellent Colorado red and white wines as well as local cheeses. They also have some interesting artwork.

We had such a good time we came back last Friday and brought two of our friends who also really enjoyed the outing in general and the music in particular. Joshua's band members are all accomplished jazz musicians. We got to hear some outstanding music from jazz standards to some upbeat Miles Davis (which are probably standards now).

Before the set and during a break, Joshua and I got to talk Rickenbackers and he helped me get my new Ric tuned and adjusted to perfection. He even played my Ric in a couple of songs with the band so I could hear what it sounds when a "real" bass player plays it. It sounds fabulous!

It's most definitely worth your time. My wife and I (and who knows who else we'll bring) will definitely make the trip again. The atmosphere is relaxing, the music is outstanding and the company is friendly. If you like Wine, Cheese and Jazz, please drop by.

Best regards,
Jim
cassius987

Re: Weekly jazz combo sets in Denver

Post by cassius987 »

Here's an article about the new Denver Brewery we played at during their soft open. Great brews, great people. We are pictured in the article. We hope to play there again soon. Meanwhile we're continuing to do the Mile High Winery every other Friday or so, and the SoSu Creative Labs for first Friday art walks in RiNo.

http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociety/2 ... oaring.php

Return to “My Gig Forum”