Now what?

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

wim
Intermediate Member

Re: Now what?

Post by wim »

marc61 wrote:
darn, I knew I forgot something at the hardware store :)
:o I'm going to assume it is in repair. ok.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Well, it's ugly but it's out.

I bought a small drill bit thinking I could drill in them pull out using a jewelers screwdriver but, a couple of slips then the vice grip was able to twist it out.

Now I have to repair. This plastic wood is all I have as a filler. Is it ok?
Attachments
IMG_1766.JPG
IMG_1765.JPG
bvstudios

Post by bvstudios »

Are you planning on putting the tuner back in? If so, locate a screw that matches the heads on the remaining tuners, and is as close as possible to the broken one (your local guitar shop can probably supply you one if you ask nicely. Or, if you have a smallish budget,this might be the time to upgrade your tuners to locking ones, etc).

Then, when you're ready to assemble, put a small amount of wood glue (instead of filler) in the screw hole and carefully reinstall the tuner. Leave it alone long enough for the glue to set (if you have it, yellow carpenter's glue is better than white), then carefully tighten the screw no more than about an eighth of a turn. Give it a full 24hrs before putting tension on it (ie- don`t restring it the same day)

Should be good as new. I tend to add a little glue to any screw I have to remove from the wood parts of any of my guitars. So far, no failures.

Hope this helps!
marc61

Post by marc61 »

Actually, I'm putting a D Tuner so, there will be a small plate covering that area. If I put a screw there, and it still holds I'm not going to mess with filling it in.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

So, I got the new D tuner today and have a bigger issue.

The ferrule doesn't fit into the headstock hole. I contacted Lakland. They said that I have the right parts but, it's often an issue. So now I have to ream the hole for the tuner a little. Unfortunately while I have the bit to do it with, I don't have the steady hands nor the tools to keep the bass in place.

If it ain't one thing, it's another :roll:
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

I suppose it depends on how much you need to enlarge it and how fast you want to get it done. A piece of dowel a bit smaller than the hole wrapped with sand paper can get the job done too. A bit slower than a bit, but isn't as likely to tear things up if you slip a little while doing it...
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

marc61 wrote:So, I got the new D tuner today and have a bigger issue.

The ferrule doesn't fit into the headstock hole. I contacted Lakland. They said that I have the right parts but, it's often an issue. So now I have to ream the hole for the tuner a little. Unfortunately while I have the bit to do it with, I don't have the steady hands nor the tools to keep the bass in place.

You can clamp the neck to a block of wood to keep it in place, that will allow you to drill right through the hole and into the block. Get above the drill and use both hands, or maybe find someone to help you out.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

marc61 wrote:So, I got the new D tuner today and have a bigger issue.

I'd suggest using a hand-held reamer not a drill bit to expand that ferrule hole. Maybe even take the bass to a guitar shop and use their reamer if buying a new reamer is too spendy for this one project. Here's an example of one from Stew Mac: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Reame ... xsr=103829
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Alex wins the banana today. He's closest. However, it appears that I'm too late, so put this into the file under "future hints".

I would use a Dremel tool and one of their #456 EZ-Lok metal-cutting wheel to carefully cut a slot in the bit that's sticking out. Use a screwwdriver that fits the slot snugly, so you don't strip it out, and for leverage try a "T" handle or grab the handle of the screwdriver with a small needle-nosed Vise-Grip.

There is simply no way an Easy-Out would work on this...they are made for machine screws. Wood screws take too much leverage. A small Easy-Out would snap and you'd really be up the headstock.

Ferrules--a rat-tail file works in a pinch. Drill bits are a no-no on this sort of thing, as they will grab, which could have the wrong result.
collin

Post by collin »

libratune wrote:
marc61 wrote:local hardware store couldn't help. They said the screw was too small for any extractors. I will try to carve a slot in there but, the size I think is still going to be a problem
If I were facing this issue I would be tempted to drill down into the screw with a very small bit (requires patience!) to make it hollow in the middle. I would then try to wedge a small screwdriver into that hole and turn it loose that way.

My 2 cents.

+1

If you do get a tiny hold drilled into the screw, I would actually use the next size-up allen screw, tap it into the hold with a small mallet/hammer and them reverse the screw out.

Easier said than done, I know.
marc61

Post by marc61 »

So, do I have to send Alex the banana? or does it come from a Curmudgeon Reserve Fund?

Well, I think what we really saw here are some drawbacks in buying an import instrument.

A local friend has an import Lakland and ironically had the same problem, with the same screw in the same spot. Super hard wood(It's flat-sawn rock maple) in the headstock? I dunno.

The ferrule issue was probably (not probably,definitely) caused by the fact that the import instruments use metrics for their sizes. Lakland basically acknowledged this by telling me that this happens all the time when they install D Tuners. If the metric ferrule that came with the instrument fit on the D tuner, I wouldn't have had a problem.

Since most of the local pro musicians are broke...I mean thrifty, but still need work done from time to time I asked a few where they would go to have work done. As luck would have it, they pretty much all referred me to the same person. He's very local to me and apparently does fine work. He's picking the bass up from me today and the work including set up will cost me less than a reamer.

Through challenges we make new discoveries :)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

No banana for you. The screw issue is probably a combination of import screw and too small a pilot hole. This is one reason I prefer stainless fasteners although I don't use them on everything. Plastic Wood? That's the worst possible filler for anything. Strictly crooked bookshelf tech...

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”