Kala UBass

Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Kala UBass

Post by T.A.R. »

I gone and done it, I've put some money down on one their Mahogany Basses. I noodled around for what I thought was a few minutes and came to find it was an hour! So any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
cassius987

Re: Kala UBass

Post by cassius987 »

Sounds like you are already have your mind made up! Far be it from me to change it, but the couple I played were very hard to enjoy. I really wanted to like them, but they were set up very poorly and I wasn't sure how much range of adjustment there would be were I to buy one. When I asked the TalkBass club about it they flamed me for even perceiving an issue... and that was that. So I haven't had a chance to form a better opinion since then.

Honestly, recordings of them sound great, so if you like it I say go for it.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Hey i have a problem with Beatle bass scale (30"),so there's no way this is something i could get into. :wink: Having said that,i think the Kala's sound fantastic!
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

woodyng wrote:Hey i have a problem with Beatle bass scale (30"),so there's no way this is something i could get into. :wink: Having said that,i think the Kala's sound fantastic!
Yeah, I think I'd have a problem with the length too. Heck, I think a 34" scale is just a tad short...
:roll: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
bigbajo60
Veteran RRF member

Post by bigbajo60 »

I never thought of these as 'viable'... until I saw this awesome "demo":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YbKCYKe4jA
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Thanks guys,
I do have my mind made up but I was concerned that it was an easy to fall for fad. I had been told that they ran hot and cold some are good from the box and others will never be. That's why I jumped on this one it seemed quite right. After I have a chance to get really acquainted with it then I may see what the limitation of setting up are. The scale is tough, to scrunch your fingers into that space makes it a challenge and that is part of the attraction for me.
Thanks for the video I hadn't seen that one, damn it sounds so good, now I'm really itching! 8)
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

T.A.R. wrote:The scale is tough, to scrunch your fingers into that space makes it a challenge...
Look at how that guy is playing the Kala, with his fingers mostly flat against the fingerboard, not like the normal arched fingers when playing a longer scale instrument.
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Great observation Jeff! That I have to try. Man I can't wait to get it!
abluesky

Post by abluesky »

Ted,

I have a custom fretless model built by Owen Holt (he designed the "Ubass" for Kala) and really enjoy the sound. The strings are going on 3-years and have pleanty of life. The short scale is different but is easy to adapt.

Enjoy it!

Chris
FG, MG and JGs
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

T.A.R. wrote:Great observation Jeff! That I have to try. Man I can't wait to get it!
This is who I thought of when I saw how he was playing:

teb
Advanced Member

Post by teb »

I've had my fretless mahogany Kala for about four years now and though it's not right for everything I want to do, I've enjoyed it with no action or playing problems. Yes, it's a tight scale, but I suppose it depends on how you normally get your pitch reference. My basses currently have six different scale lengths, three fretless, and I haven't really had any trouble in that regard. Within a couple minutes of noodling around, you adjust and play with your ears. If there is any major adjustment when you pick it up, I think it's with the picking hand. Compared to typical bass strings, the U-bass strings are quite soft and feel a little bit "sticky" (for lack of a better word). You have to adjust the release time of your picking fingers a little bit to match the characteristics of the strings and to get the notes to sound when you want them to. Again, after a couple minutes of playing, you automatically adjust a bit to get things back on track until you get used to playing one.

I'll normally roll off some treble on the amp to cut down on body and picking/plucking noise (which can be fairly substantial compared to a regular electric bass at normal treble levels). How close you can get to that resonant string bass sound seems to be more a matter of your amp/cabinet than the U-bass itself or your individual playing style. Some amps and speakers just seem to be more able to really nail that sound than others, with Acoustic Image brand leading the way from what I've been able to see so far.

When new, the strings stretch quite a bit over the first few weeks. Once the tuner pegs were full of wraps, I went back in and cut off about 2" from my strings, re-tuned and they have stayed pretty stable since then. All in all though, it seems to be the smallest, most compact sort of instrument that can still make a believable, big bass sound.

It's the first clip in this string of bass sound clips:
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/M ... amples.mp3
T.A.R.
Intermediate Member

Post by T.A.R. »

Thanks Guys,
I'm sure after some noodling I'll be right at home with UBass. I know what you mean about the feel of the strings being sticky and the release time adjustment. Interesting about the stretch I was wondering how they broke in and how they lasted. I really appreciate the advice in this new to me ground. I'm enjoying the clips, Tower of Power wow there's a group I haven't thought of in a long time, Every clip I've heard has just amazed me with the tone and it sounded just as good in person, I think it will be a great addition to the fleet. 8)
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

Absolutely love my Kala.

Return to “The Low End”