Non-Rickenbacker Basses, Fretless Basses & Effects

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

Danotron
Intermediate Member

Re: 1978 Gibson RD Artist Bass

Post by Danotron »

coolingitdown wrote:
jps wrote:
Danotron wrote:Now to figure out a way to sneak it into one of our local RRF get togethers so I can see how some of my more advanced Bass player friends put it through its paces 8)
Not too hard, really. 8)
Jeff, you clearly have no idea how much grief has been bestowed upon those bringing non-Ricks to our jams. :lol:

Maybe I should bring my Squier Classic Vibe Tele and Vintage Modified Jaguar to the next gathering in a show of solidarity. What do you think, Dan? 8)
Seriously, there was a question about the authenticity of a t shirt I had once :lol:

Maybe we should do a special one off RRF "bring you favorite non-Rick" mini jam. I'll bring the RD Bass and my Gibson ES-355 :mrgreen:
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

We could do it on April fools Day!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Danotron wrote:We could do it on April fools Day!
That reminded me of this:

When I lived in Mar Vista I was a non-employee member of the Hughes Aircraft Hiking Club. In the newsletters there would always be a list of upcoming hikes or camping trips; one of them was for a day hike to the top of Mt. Everest! :mrgreen: Oxygen optional. :lol:
Happyface

Post by Happyface »

If you master the Moog board, you can create some real weirdness beyond the stock sound.
Currently: Tuxedo, 1972 4000

Past holdings: 1968 4005, Blackstar, 3000, CS, Alembric, Tuxedo, 360-12, Blackstar, 360-12, 1982 4003, Shadow, 4003 SnowGlow, CS in that order.
chromium

Post by chromium »

Great looking RD! I've played a few in the past, enjoyed them, and have always wanted one... but it's hard to justify these days. Two of my favorite basses are of the Gibson family, however- 76 Thunderbird (w/the sidewinder pickups rewired in parallel- akin to the 60s and modern Tbird IVs), and a 73 Les Paul Recording (aka Triumph). Gig them frequently, and both sound and play phenomenal!

Speaking of RD/Moog weirdness... there's a fellow on one of the other bass boards that uses a Kahler-equipped RD Artist to good effect. It also has (or had?) a bass Gizmotron installed on it (!!; remember those? :))

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=6861067
Danotron
Intermediate Member

Post by Danotron »

I'm enjoying it quite a bit actually, lots of tone options and a very cool look (it is very heavy though :) )

Return to “The Low End”