What Are You Reading?

General Information

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

jimk
RRF Consultant

What Are You Reading?

Post by jimk »

Tell us about the book(s) you're reading. Post a review if you like. Would you recommend the book to others? It doesn't have to be on a musical subject, but it could be. It doesn't have to do with guitars generally, or Rickenbacker guitars and basses particularly, but it could be. In sum, anything goes.

So I'll start. I'm about half-way through Life by Keith Richards. The early days of famous bands interests me the most; the days when they were learning their craft, when they were sometimes literally lean and hungry. Although I've never been a big fan of the Rolling Stones, I've a feeling that if I had been around London in about 1962-3 I would have been much more interested in them, because of their early interest in Chicago style blues. I'll follow this up after I've finished the book
cjj
RRF Moderator

Re: What Are You Reading?

Post by cjj »

An Introduction to Object-Oriented Programming and C++
by Richard S. Wiener & Lewis J. Pinson

OK, you asked. Yeah, I'm a Techno-Nerd™...
:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Looking At Ansel Adams by Andrea G. Stillman: I have not bought or looked through an Ansel related book in a few years (I have quite a few in my library) so this was a thrill to find at my local B&N and see some very cool stuff in in it like full contact sheets and wild personal family photos. 8) I have not actually read it yet, just been thumbing through it looking at the photos for now. My favorite so far is the one of Virginia Best with a young bear; boy was she brave!

A short plug here for a client of my old photo lab. For many years I have printed the work of Ocean City, MD photographer Gregory Poulos. He finally produced a book of his work called Moments Ocean City, Maryland; I made all the special photographs for the printing of the book, around 200 or so, then Greg selected what he wanted in the book. Not much text, but lots of great images. 8)

A set of books I also have to get around to reading (!) are Martin Guitars: A History and Martin Guitars: A Technical Reference, revised and updated by Richard Johnston & Dick Boak (original by Mike Longworth); pretty obvious what the subject matter is here. :mrgreen:
antipodean

Post by antipodean »

I recently finished Shakespeare's Restless World by Neil McGregor, which examines aspects of Elizabethan and early Jacobean England using twenty objects from the period. I am currently in the middle of At Home by Bill Bryson, which deals with all manner of cultural and scientific history whilst purportedly analysing the nature of modern domestic architecture.

The last works of fiction I have read were Ransom, which may contain the most beautifully written prose I have encountered, and Remembering Babylon, both by David Malouf. Ransom is an expansion of a single episode that occurs in The Illiad - the ransoming of Hector's body by his father, Priam, King of Troy, from Achilles. Remembering Babylon is an account of the impact on a remote 19th century Australian frontier hamlet of the sudden appearance of an Englishman who had fallen overboard whilst a cabin-boy and has spent most of his life absorbed into the indigenous culture.
"I don't want to sound incredulous but I can't believe it" Rex Mossop
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

I'm currently reading, So Far From God: The U. S. War With Mexico, 1846-1848, by John S. D. Eisenhower (Dwight's son). Very good insight.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

The Power Broker by Robert Caro, the definitive Robert Moses biography.
wmthor
Veteran RRF member

Post by wmthor »

sloop_john_b wrote:The Power Broker by Robert Caro, the definitive Robert Moses biography.
I've read most of Caro's books on LBJ.
'96 1997 LH MG
'98 360 LH MG
'00 360/12 Carl Wilson LH FG
'07 730S Shiloh LH
deaconblues
RRF Consultant

Post by deaconblues »

Keith Richards' autobiography is a fun read and really fascinating.
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

I just finished "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson. He intertwines the story of the 1983 Worlds' Fair and the activities of one of the worst serial killers in US history. It reads like good fiction, but is all based on the actual events of the time. I've read some of his other work prior to this one - most notably "Isaac's Storm" - he's a master of the genre, whatever this genre might be named.

Next up is Max Hastings' "Inferno" - a history of the Second World War.

Evan, I'm a big fan of Bill Bryson's work - I really enjoyed "At Home". I felt it got a little disjointed as the book went on, but it didn't particularly bother me.
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Law school Casebooks and Outlines, and bits at a time of Patrick O'Brian's The Far Side of the World for at least the third time; each book of the series gets better with each read. . . .
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
8mileshigher

What Are You Reading?

Post by 8mileshigher »

The last two books reading have been politics and music themes -
Pinheads and Patriots - Where You Stand in the Age of Obama; by TV commentator Bill O'Reilly
All the Rage; by Ian 'Mac' McLagan auto-biography of his life and times in Small Faces, Faces, the Stones and others

Another book I have been trying to get into is 'Pink Floyd and Philosophy' edited by George Reisch ..... but this book really is deep philosophically. I've tried launching a read a few times and just keep struggling to keep it going. Only have read one third of it. I'm a serious Floyd fan but this book is very existential. :roll:
eatswodo
Veteran RRF member

Post by eatswodo »

paologregorio wrote:Law school Casebooks and Outlines, and bits at a time of Patrick O'Brian's The Far Side of the World for at least the third time; each book of the series gets better with each read. . . .
Thanks for the O'Brian reminder - I got to Volume 17, "The Commodore" a few years ago, and took rather a longer break than intended. Good idea for my Christmas list!
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

Recently finished "The Beatle Who Vanished" -- the story of Jimmie Nicol.

It includes a foreword by "former Beatle" Chas Newby... I guess there were more than 4 Beatles :?: :wink:

I just started the Mark Lewisohn tome "Tune In" -- the first of a trilogy.
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

Rickenbacker by Smith. It has a place du honore in the throne room.

Return to “Trivia”