Xpost: mcGuinn-style flatpicking

Those who flock to The Byrds
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Xpost: mcGuinn-style flatpicking

Post by jdogric12 »

Hey gang. In case any of you missed it... some Byrds-related discussion popped up here. I would welcome your thoughts on if/why/how my picking is like McGuinn's. He's definitely an influence, I gladly admit that. But I've never used thumbpicks, so there is difference #1.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=410531
beatbyrd
Intermediate Member

Re: Xpost: mcGuinn-style flatpicking

Post by beatbyrd »

Hi Jason..... You did a great job on that show! I believe that the "McGuinn" comment was a reference to tone, and possibly song selections (a couple of which were "Folk Den-ish"). Your picking technique on those traditional songs, when you articulated individual string pairs in the chords, does have a similar sound to the flatpick + 2 fingerpicks style that Roger uses. Whatever...... You and the Rick sounded really good together. I hope that you wow them at the gig in January.
It's a Byrd, it's a playin'..........

'73 4001 MG
'09 360/12 FG
'10 360/6 FG
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

beatbyrd wrote:Hi Jason..... You did a great job on that show! I believe that the "McGuinn" comment was a reference to tone, and possibly song selections (a couple of which were "Folk Den-ish"). Your picking technique on those traditional songs, when you articulated individual string pairs in the chords, does have a similar sound to the flatpick + 2 fingerpicks style that Roger uses. Whatever...... You and the Rick sounded really good together. I hope that you wow them at the gig in January.
Thanks!
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

I was the one who made the "McGuinn" comment, and I meant it in reference to Jason's tone, particularly on that first track. Obviously there are some major differences between Jason's and Roger's techniques (as Beatbyrd and Jason himself correctly note). But Jason's arpeggiating style really captures that SOUND. When impressed, I've been known occasionally to exaggerate to the point of hyperbole. :lol: But my praise of Jason's tone was 100% sincere. 8)

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”