I Saw the Holy Grail Today.

The short-scale model that changed history

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

johnhall
RIC

Re: I Saw the Holy Grail Today.

Post by johnhall »

collin wrote:I've seen equally rare celebrity guitars (EMP, Grammy museum) behind glass and in sunlight, so I have no reason to assume that this one is fake because of that.
Actually, the EMP does a great job physically protecting instruments (even if the descriptions are sometimes questionable). For the most part they are behind glass (not Plexi) that is likely treated to filter UV. The cabinets are very carefully climate controlled and you'll note the monitoring equipment.

The Grammy Museum is another story altogether and I very strongly advised Yoko's curator that the conditions of display were not suitable. At the same time we provided fauna and flora statements for the US Customs service for this guitar, I also suggested, based upon my inspection of the guitar in Saitama, that some conservation was needed sooner than later. Not that anyone seemed to care . . .
collin wrote: Now....how can I get ahold of this Makoto Fujimaki guy? :) :lol:
He's there on Google in plain sight. He's also a well known among audiophiles in Japan as a source of hand made capacitors perfectly replicating those of the 1950's and 60's. There's a family connection to Yoko Ono but I'm not comfortable that I know the exact details on that to relate them.
collin

Post by collin »

johnhall wrote:
He's there on Google in plain sight. He's also a well known among audiophiles in Japan as a source of hand made capacitors perfectly replicating those of the 1950's and 60's. There's a family connection to Yoko Ono but I'm not comfortable that I know the exact details on that to relate them.

Nice - I was kidding about contacting him, but since nobody else knows how to properly relic a Rickenbacker (if you're into that sort of thing), it's interesting to hear that somebody has mastered it.
DriftSpace

Post by DriftSpace »

johnhall wrote:He's there on Google in plain sight
Sure, but there's absolutely nothing regarding him and working on guitars "in plain sight" on Google. Obviously the subject of (potentially) the most famous guitar in the world being replicated would be kept under wraps, but I'm guessing this wasn't his first shot at recreating a guitar; someone doesn't usually get hired for a job like that with no prior experience.

I guess what I am really interested in is how you came to associate Fujimaki with replication of Lennon's guitar(s). If you're willing to claim that there are fakes: surely you wouldn't mind sharing with us a story regarding how you came to know about them, yes?
sixtwentytwelve

Post by sixtwentytwelve »

I saw [what purported to be!] the original Lennon 325's in the John Lennon Museum in Saitama, Japan before the Museum closed in September 2010. It wasn't clear to me what storage conditions were in place at that venue, but the '58 was in a large display case with other items, and the '64 was standing alone in a plexiglass enclosure similar to the one pictured at the beginning of this thread. It was mind-boggling to see them both together in one place. A similar collection was displayed when the Grammy Museum in L.A. exhibited George Harrison's guitars -- including the iconic Ric 12-string (below) -- about a year ago. Assuming that all of these original guitars are still alive and well somewhere, their survival is an interesting story in and of itself. Putting aside that they miraculously survived decades of threatened theft and destruction, their famous owners were obviously very attached to them for sentimental or historical reasons (or both).
Attachments
Grammy Harrison Ric.jpg
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

The instruments at the Saitama museum are also fakes, no?
johnhall
RIC

Post by johnhall »

sloop_john_b wrote:The instruments at the Saitama museum are also fakes, no?
John, that museum was closed back in 2010. It's still unknown exactly what was on display there at what time. Some observed "irregularities" there are what brought this whole issue to light.
scotty

Post by scotty »

Great thread. ..
John what irregularities? anything specific ?
Ive completely missed alll this and any links to any further information would be great.
8mileshigher

I Saw the Holy Grail Today.

Post by 8mileshigher »

Some years back, I remember some Forum member posted pics he "covertly" took at that museum in Japan, because photography was not permitted. Maybe they were posted on some thread in the "325" section or the Vintage Rickenbackers section . It was awhile back.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

sixtwentytwelve wrote:Assuming that all of these original guitars are still alive and well somewhere, their survival is an interesting story in and of itself. Putting aside that they miraculously survived decades of threatened theft and destruction, their famous owners were obviously very attached to them for sentimental or historical reasons (or both).
Or it could be that the guitars played well to the player, sounded great, and why would any player part with a fine instrument unless forboding circumstances arose, whether it be John Lennon or the next young boy or girl who receives a fine instrument as a gift from parents?
Melma

Post by Melma »

8mileshigher wrote:Some years back, I remember some Forum member posted pics he "covertly" took at that museum in Japan, because photography was not permitted. Maybe they were posted on some thread in the "325" section or the Vintage Rickenbackers section . It was awhile back.
Nearest example I can think of?

Return to “Rickenbacker Vintage 325 Models: by Glen Lambert”