strings for the 12 string...

Modern years of Rickenbacker Guitars from 1984 to the present

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

johnashfield
Veteran RRF member

strings for the 12 string...

Post by johnashfield »

For years now I've been playing the "standard" ric set of strings, 10-42, but I'd just got to my local shop and buy strings individually, since I would replace the 10s with 9s and the 13s with 12s to make it easier to play...

So I decided to use the 10s and 13s and yeah, the chime is louder... so I go to the ric boutique... and now they are 10-46?

You can find quotes from ric online saying that 10-42 is the definite gauge, so...

what gives with the change?

does anyone notice a difference? like is the low end overwhelming the high?

The low e and a strings can go sharp with 42s when you fret them on low frets. Does using heavier low ends solve this?
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Re: strings for the 12 string...

Post by kennyhowes »

10-46 is where it's at, man.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

The older 10-42 string set may have had compressed wind lower strings instead of conventional round wrap lower strings. Compressing the windings, of course, makes the overall diameter of the string smaller. So they're about the same.
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

johnashfield wrote:The low e and a strings can go sharp with 42s when you fret them on low frets. Does using heavier low ends solve this?
Sorry for the delayed proper response, John, bu t the answer is yes.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

johnashfield wrote:The low e and a strings can go sharp with 42s when you fret them on low frets. Does using heavier low ends solve this?
What Kenny said. In addition, use a light touch, and have a qualified luthier make sure the nut slots are optimum.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”