Rickenbacker Polish

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

MoseRorris

Rickenbacker Polish

Post by MoseRorris »

Hello All, I recently purchased a Rickenbacker 330F special in FG and i was wondering what the best polish would be to use when cleaning it.
I have some Gibson brand polish which has always been good but naturally i would like to use only the best on my Rickenbacker.
Does anyone have any recommendations or should i just stick with the Gibson polish?
Rickenbacker 330F (FG)
Rickenbacker 4003s (FG)
scotty

Re: Rickenbacker Polish

Post by scotty »

Spit.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Welcome Oliver. Congratulations on the Rickenbacker. For waxes I have been very pleased with the results from a number of products including: Mothers California Gold Carnauba wax, Zymol and Turtle Wax (non silicone) mixed with water 50/50). Each of these buffing by HAND will bring the shine on your guitar over the top and on your face too!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

scotty wrote:Spit.
Aye Scotty for the universal shine a wee bit of spit and polish helps in most situations. Happy Friday. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
MoseRorris

Post by MoseRorris »

admin wrote:Welcome Oliver. Congratulations on the Rickenbacker. For waxes I have been very pleased with the results from a number of products including: Mothers California Gold Carnauba wax, Zymol and Turtle Wax (non silicone) mixed with water 50/50). Each of these buffing by HAND will bring the shine on your guitar over the top and on your face too!
Thanks for the recommendations! i'll have to check them out and make some purchases :D :D
Rickenbacker 330F (FG)
Rickenbacker 4003s (FG)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Scotty's spit is highly flammable, so don't smoke if you use it. Comes in 6-ounce handy plastic tubs.
johna

Post by johna »

I have an ancient spray can of G'wax which somehow found it's way to Australia which I use on various instruments including my old 64 RM1999 and a classical guitar and it works really well. It's still manufactured in Virginia:

http://www.chem-pak.com/catalog/musical ... /gwax.html

The old spray can proclaimed "NEW ENVIRONMENTAL FORMULA with CARNUBA WAX AND SILICONE". I wonder what was in the "old" formula....
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Umm...Rule #1 with guitars and quality car finishes, too, is to avoid silicone. It is a plague. Maybe I'm over sensitive because of its effects on refinishes. Very bad stuff. I can't have it anywhere near my shop. Can't get it on my hands, can't let the vapor get into the air. Result of one molecule settling on a surface to be painted=1 crater or "fish eye". This applies to any silicone product, including most car "waxes", which contain stuff like silicone, other polymers, or Teflon. Teflon is useless in a car wax anyway. Also WD40, Armor-All, silicone lubricants, caulking, and Pamela Anderson.

My recommendation for wax is still Zymol, as it has a high percentage of carnauba (note spelling) and natural oils. I have found some new products in the last couple of years which replace the old Scratch-X, and some new thinking on polishing cloths, but we'll save that for a new thread.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What's the best (proper) way to pronounce Polish? :mrgreen:
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Wax or sausage?
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

Anyone have any experience with this brand? So far so good for me.
http://www.musicnomadcare.com
kennyhowes
Veteran RRF member

Post by kennyhowes »

...and they spell "carnauba" right. :)
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

That's a good sign!

Silicone-free. The detailer and polish both look good. My only question would involve solvent or water base on the wax. Gonna give them a try. See this space for a full report!
IHeartRics

Post by IHeartRics »

scotty wrote:Spit.
It's true. I used my saliva on a 1921 banjo that was up in an attic for decades. Spit safely takes the crud off.
Expect nothing and you'll never be disappointed (and I mean that in an optimistic way).
http://www.reverbnation.com/thelowlies
http://www.myspace.com/thelowlies
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I've a (semi) Related question,folks. My RIC polishing cloths have gotten pretty tatty,is it ok to wash them,or put them in the dryer to remove lint? Or is there another recommendation?

Zymol rocks!

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”