Refinishing my 1979 4001 Autumnglo

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Wiker

Re: Refinishing my 1979 4001 Autumnglo

Post by Wiker »

godber wrote:I probably agree with Scotty about the original colour, but it's a great thread Geir. Particularly like the way you've done the frets ends by keeping the binding nub. Are the fret ends cut square to achieve this?
Fret ends are simply cut down and sanded flush with the side of the fretboard before putting on binding.
godber
Advanced Member

Post by godber »

Thanks Geir, useful to know.
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

jps wrote:With all the work you have done, why did you not add checker binding to this?
Checkered binding never appealed that much to me, but when this viewtopic.php?p=802845#p802845 was going on I was tempted. But I just didn’t have enough time for it – as usual I got started way later than planned, and I had to get it finished during the summer. Also, I think CB looks good with full width inlays – not sure how it’d look with those smaller triangular inlays.
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

jps wrote:I love the darker finish against the binding, very sharp looking. I would love to see what a vintage (longer pickguard) looks like on this but I understand what you are aiming for. Definitely keep the toaster in the 1/2" location, though. 8)
Something about extended pick guards that are more in harmony or something – looks great in my eyes. But, what I like about the darker burst is the contrast between dark rim and light centre, and therefore don’t what to cover too much of the centre. Umm ...

Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Btw, no one noticed I have converted it to a two-string :lol:
scotty

Post by scotty »

As we say in Norway: "personal taste is like the butt – divided down the middle"
That's true :lol:
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Looks fine either way but my butt says longer pickguard! :mrgreen:
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

jps wrote:Looks fine either way but my butt says longer pickguard! :mrgreen:
A talking butt :lol:

I expended you would vote for the long guard. It certainly has something about it that looks right. In my eyes not only that it reaches all the way to the surround, but also the uppermost curve and poutiness of the corners. I'm leaning more and more towards a compromise - a shortened version of the long guard, in effect closer to early '70s style short guard.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

How many sides does a butt have? :mrgreen:
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

jps wrote:How many sides does a butt have? :mrgreen:
Mm... The obvious answer is 2. But I feel it’s a trick question, and then of course the correct answer is not 2. Hm... :? I give up - can’t figure it out. :?:
Maybe the trick is to make be believe it’s a trick so that I don’t say 2, which is the correct answer after all. :twisted:
johnallg
Rick-a-holic

Post by johnallg »

Great job, Geir! I love the color and it will look great when fully assembled. :D

Oh, and this butt says shorter guard - appropriate to the year of the bass and looks great with the color/burst.

Edit: I just looked back at the first post with the full dress original color and I like the darker finish you have now better. :)

Also, thanks ever so much for the full documentation with pictures of your efforts. Excellent.
Grey
Advanced Member

Post by Grey »

It looks nice but I would have left it alone.
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Grey wrote:It looks nice but I would have left it alone.
I know. Not many (if any) would have gone through this, and ruined the original finish, like I’ve done just to fix some cosmetic issues. But I am me :)
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

johnallg wrote:Great job, Geir! I love the color and it will look great when fully assembled. :D

Oh, and this butt says shorter guard - appropriate to the year of the bass and looks great with the color/burst.

Edit: I just looked back at the first post with the full dress original color and I like the darker finish you have now better. :)

Also, thanks ever so much for the full documentation with pictures of your efforts. Excellent.
Thanks John :D
A short guard is almost finished. But I'm obviously not concerned with keeping things stock and period correct (1/2", toaster, horse shoe), so it won't be a period correct short guard but like on this '72 from the register (well, while at it I'm making a period correct guard also):
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Wiker wrote:
Grey wrote:It looks nice but I would have left it alone.
I know. Not many (if any) would have gone through this, and ruined the original finish, like I’ve done just to fix some cosmetic issues. But I am me :)
The guy who bought my old '67 4005WB did just that by having me send the bass to PW.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”