How to get more gurgle/belch and less clang/screech.

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

superheavydeathmetal

How to get more gurgle/belch and less clang/screech.

Post by superheavydeathmetal »

I'm trying to get more of that rolling gurgling belchy sound out of my Rick, and at the same time, get rid of the excessive clang and screech that I am getting. Every time I fret a string it sounds like a hammer against sheet metal, and every slide to a different fret sounds like nails on a chalkboard. It's not quite that bad, but that's what it feels like, haha.

It seems like lowering the high-end from a full-on boil to a simmer helps the screech, but eliminates the gurgle.

Do you have any ideas?

Thanks!
Gilmourisgod wrote:I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: How to get more gurgle/belch and less clang/screech.

Post by jps »

FLATS!

What strings do you use, currently.
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

What strings and what model bass?

I found Rotos (RS66LD) to have a little more of that clang/screech. Good for some things, less so for church music. I switched to DR Hi-Beams and am happier. The high end is still clear and less harsh. Backing off the highs slightly should also do it. Flats would do it, but I don't particularly like flats. I miss that piano ring too much.
superheavydeathmetal

I have a 1986 4003 with, of course, RS66LB strings.

I don't think flats are the answer here. I can't help but think they would take all of the "gurgle" out of the sound.

I tried D'Addario nickel-steels some time ago, but I ended up putting the Rotosounds back on. I can't remember why, haha.

Maybe Hi-Beams are a good option.

Or, maybe I just need to learn to play cleaner, haha!

Thanks!
Gilmourisgod wrote:I never really "got" what a Rick is capable of until I ran it stereo a few times in my college band. We used to call it the "Piano of Doom". You get all the bottom and all the top in total a**kicking mode.
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

Beer and Ipecac....
superheavydeathmetal

chefothefuture wrote:Beer and Ipecac....
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Not a rotosound fan,here,at least not when I have to play them. (Still like to hear them played by others).
I've used DR Sunbeams for something like 12 years,and more recently tried Kalium balanced sets. They're both vastly superior to what rotosound is putting out now. And flatwounds/tapewounds can be pretty awesome and cutting sounding on a Rick,too.
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

superheavydeathmetal wrote:
chefothefuture wrote:Beer and Ipecac....
Yep....
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

Sersly-
You might want to look at your amp as well.
Different makes will make a big difference.
Playing style and setup is also a factor.
Is your action too low and amp too underpowered?
If you are hitting your strings too hard to compensate for a weak amp all sorts
of nasty tones happen.

Sometimes a good EQ can help shape your tone to something more to your
liking.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Toaster/horseshoe
superheavydeathmetal

jdogric12 wrote:Toaster/horseshoe
Haha! Don't say that! I have a v63 that I am continuously battling myself to not modify by replacing the mono jack with a stereo.

Maybe I could get a horseshoe and toaster and put it in something else to try it out...

If only horseshoes didn't cost $300.
T28

Post by T28 »

I have started using the Kalium balanced sets. Very happy with the sound and string noise is minimal.

Superheavydeathmetal,

Dane makes a mode that converts a V63 into stereo without changing the looks or modifying the body.
I have it on my V63 and it is really nice for when you want it.
daveman

Post by daveman »

Have you considered adding relief? (Loosening your truss rods, or moving to a heavier/higher-tension set of strings.) That will reduce clank.

Based on so many recommendations on this board, I just switched to the Kalium .102 balanced set from D'Addario EXL170s, and I had to loosen my rods to dial out the clank. Actually it was more than clank at first; I had no relief (the strings were pretty well flat on the board). But I got it sorted out and I really like the strings -- they're very easy on the right hand.
superheavydeathmetal

daveman wrote:Have you considered adding relief?
I think the relief is good. Although the strings I have are quite light, the bridge is as low as I can get it and the action is still way too high to cause any kind of buzzing.

daveman wrote:they're very easy on the right hand.
Or the left hand, in my case 8)

I rolled off some of the high-end and that seems to have helped. I think next I will actually use one of the knobs on the bass itself (for the first time in my life; I seem to always prefer to have every knob maxed on passive basses) and turn the tone down on the bridge pickup a bit.

I will also play around with the EQ and gains on the amp and pedal to try to increase the throaty, gurgley sound as much as I can. Maybe adding some grit to the neck pickup will help, if I can do it without it sounding flubby.
Kopfjaeger
Advanced Member

Post by Kopfjaeger »

Conley,

What tone are you seeking? Rickenbackers gravitate more toward the treble side of the bass tone. That not to say that they can not thump but their attention to the upper mid to treble end is what Rickenbackers do. Dane would be able to say for sure but I think your bass was made prior to RIC going with lower rated tone pots so your bass will be less dark than the newer lower rated pots. I think EQ will be your best chance to reduce the clank you are getting, once you check all your entire set up.

Rotos and stainless steel strings are notorious for being clancky. I too use the Kalium strings, have been for the last 4 years. Love them but I'm not sure they will reduce the clank. DR Sunbeams are my second favorite strings. Fell in love with them when i played mark walker's 1968 4001. I use them exclusively on my main gigging bass, my 72 4001, but those too are very bright.

Like others here have said, add a touch of relief to minimize the strings from clanking off the frets. What is the treble pup height look like? If too close, that can get obnoxious.

Sepp
Vintage/Classic Rickenbacker Enthusiast!
1972 4001 Jetglo
1973 4001 Burgundyglo
2011 4003 Jetglo
1986 4003 Shadow

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”