2015: Another Bay Area BARC, (Again) ...

Planning or looking for a Rickenbacker conference? Start here.

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Bay Area Rickenbacker Confluence .... possibility
Just a heads up that a couple of interested parties were reminiscing recently and are now exchanging ideas for potentially another BARC get-together in the San Fran Bay Area 8) :D

One potential date tossed around might be Saturday July 11th .... nothing concrete yet. Location --- to be determined

But let's hear from other interested Rickenbacker enthusiasts, who might like to spend a summer afternoon Ricken-jamming and a little "show and tell" with their fine Rickenbacker collections. You can find out about set-ups and talk with some folks who know something about restorations and refinishing, etc. If you're interested in BARCing, let others know about the suggested date or an alternative date suggestion you might have, etc.

You can check out pictures and comments from the prior (2013) BARC event here viewtopic.php?f=15&t=408723&start=210#p799710

And from the year before's BARC (2012) here
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=405453#p753202
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 2015: Another Bay Area BARC, (Again) ...

Post by jps »

We were in the Bay area first week of March. I did check out a couple of nice guitar shops while there, Gryphon Stringed Instruments, and Schoenberg Guitars. :D
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I was just there the week following Memorial day,for a SFO flight. Stayed in Redwood City,and finally got to check out Gelb Music,where they had a Rick or two,along with a lot of high end basses. (You know,the ones with lots of knobs....) 8)

Anyhoooo....
I would LOVE to come for another BARC,this time i will make sure that the hotel has AC. :wink:
Who knew San Rafael gets hot in the summer? Well,ok,i didn't! Of course,i'm presuming that it would be at the same place,so maybe something different this time around?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

woodyng wrote:...high end basses. (You know,the ones with lots of knobs....) 8)
Like these, that Joe Zon made for me?
Photograph Copyright © Jeffrey P. Scott 2010 All rights reserved
:wink:

Originally, the fretted Sonus also had just one knob, for volume. Many years later I asked Joe to add the second pickup and more knobs! Individual volume controls and a stack set of passive tone controls.
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Jeff, will you be able to make it out to the Bay Area for another trip, mid July, here for BARC, with you having just been visiting a few month back ?

Meantime, to get the ball rolling, we've heard from several interested BARC attendees ... :)

Kira
Harry B
Doug F and his drummer pal
Woody
Rich
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Like not, it would have been fun as there are quite a few forumites I have never met out that way.
jingle_jangle
RRF Moderator

Post by jingle_jangle »

Two words: I'M IN.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Jeff- Actually,Gelb DID have several Zon basses in stock. The only thing i checked out was a weirdo turkwoise Fender SS bass with 3 lipstick pickups. (New model,kinda cool,but not all that nice). They also had a few Sadowskys,a lot of Laklands,Fenders,and a warwick or 2.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

jingle_jangle wrote:Two words: I'M IN.
Cool!
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

Me, too! :D I have been missing everybody!
All I wanna do is rock!
BuddyDog
Intermediate Member

Post by BuddyDog »

Subscribing...

It would be good to see everyone again!
2009 360/6 Fire-Glo 2009 360/12C63 FG 1975 4001 White/BT
Chords mangled, no waiting!
8mileshigher

Post by 8mileshigher »

Does anyone have other possible suggestions for potential days which might work for July or August ??
analogpackrat

Post by analogpackrat »

I'm trying to get a venue lined up for us. Since I'm further south (live in the Santa Cruz Mountains, work down in the San Jose area) that's where I've been looking. I've got two possibilities at the moment.

First is a local recording studio that I actually helped set up several years ago. It has a large live room with 12-15' ceilings and some sound treatment. It's a little dark, but would be a really good space for the jam. A drum kit is no problem--have to find out about PA. Rate is very good. The guy who now runs it is out of town at the moment, but I plan to go by and see it in its current state when he returns. He did tell me he already has a session booked on 7/11. The bad news is parking. It's in an aging commercial district surrounded by older neighborhoods. It isn't too far from SAP Center so the city has permit controlled parking on all of the residential streets in the area. There might be a few spots off-street, but the rest would be street parking only. Here's the site link:

http://www.districtrecorders.com/

Second is a small performance/recital room in the music lessons building at Guitar Showcase. I checked it out after work today. The building used to be a studio and this was one of the live rooms. It's about 20x30' and has a medium sized stage in one corner with some lights. Drum kit and PA available. The down side is that Saturday is a busy day for lessons, so the room would only be available on a Sunday until 6 when the store closes. They said as long as we're loading out starting at 6pm we're good. They will get back to me with the rate. Parking shouldn't be a problem on a Sunday. Load-in includes one flight of stairs. Showcase is a Rickenbacker dealer and has a large number of vintage guitars of all makes on display in a museum area. They also have a huge acoustic guitar selection.

<edit> here are pics of the Guitar Showcase room:
Stage
Stage
Stage from side
Stage from side
Back of room
Back of room
Small lounge at top of stairs
Small lounge at top of stairs
So what dates are good for people? We already had a vote from one regular BARCer for 7/11. Does 7/12 work? What about 7/18, 7/19, 7/25, or 7/26?

AP
If it is to be, it is up to me.
kiramdear
RRF Moderator

Post by kiramdear »

I'm good for any of those days. :)
All I wanna do is rock!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

I am probably fairly flexible,as long as i can get time off approval,which I have gotten for the 7/11 weekend,so that would be good for me. I have to factor in a travel day on either side of whatever our get together day is going to be. (Brookings is about 425 miles from SJC).

Return to “Rickenbacker Conferences and Confluences”