Chris Has Passed On....

The genius of Chris Squire
cheyenne
Veteran RRF member

Re: Chris Has Passed On....

Post by cheyenne »

I always wondered what it would feel like to be playing live and look down to see these two checking you out.

"Knowledge is Power"
fran4001
Intermediate Member

Post by fran4001 »

Seeing them in the first row would probably make me consider a career change.... lol
Apr. '73 4001JG, Jun. '73 4001MG, Feb. '75 4001 WBT, Feb. '00 4001CS
Becky

Post by Becky »

I haven't been posting on here for quite some time, and this is hardly the way to return. After seeing Miguel's #playforsquire on YT I was actually having a rare attempt at my own embarassingly rusty small contribution. Alas I was too late.

I heard the news at lunchtime yesterday, and as shocked and upset as everyone else. I blogged a little bit about it.
Billsbro

Post by Billsbro »

A lovely essay, Becky. Thanks for sharing that.
Young or old, fervent old-timers or new converts...we all seem to have been knocked out by The Man's style and inherent musicality.
rickboy88
Intermediate Member

Post by rickboy88 »

Some years ago, I'd seen a "Sounding Out" documentary on Yes on the VH1 channel. The different parts eventually ended up on youtube. This one is part 2, and it initially features Chris as voice over, then on camera - and the classic Yes line-up.

There are good interviews with Jon Anderson and Bill Bruford in Part 1, also on youtube.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect." Vince Lombardi
4005player

Post by 4005player »

Hi All,

It's been a while since I've posted here (though I check the forums weekly). Here's what I posted to YESWORLD.COM's link about his death last Saturday:

I am deeply saddened by the loss of Chris Squire, and my thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends. His bass line in Roundabout sealed the deal for me in deciding to learn the bass guitar. The very first song I learned was Siberian Khatru - a serious challenge for a brand new musician to attempt, and it took me a couple of weeks to learn it, entirely by ear, and be able to play it. (Years later I found his bass line transcription for it and found that I had gotten it right!) Nearly 3 years ago, I had the good fortune to meet Yes when they played here in LA, and had a couple of minutes to speak with him and tell him of his importance to me in my life as a fellow musician....we even shared a laugh together about the "tricky parts" of Yes' music! I'll never forget that experience, and am very glad I got to tell him thanks face to face! God Bless You, Chris Squire, and thanks for your great contribution to the world!
4001G63

Post by 4001G63 »

Hey Fran,
I have been checking the Rickenbacker website to see if they, John Hall specifically issued a statement or memorial to Chris but surprisingly, I haven't seen anything. I noticed they had Chris' photo on the homepage but no caption or anything. Do you know if John Hall has posted anything anywhere?
fran4001
Intermediate Member

Post by fran4001 »

Also noticed the outtake pic from the '91 session for the CS poster! But no official word. I did notice they're closed for the annual factory summer shutdown for 2 weeks. Perhaps John or Ben will compose something while off?
Apr. '73 4001JG, Jun. '73 4001MG, Feb. '75 4001 WBT, Feb. '00 4001CS
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The last time I saw Chris was exactly three years ago (to the minute, well, for a 2 1/2 hour duration, anyway!), when Yes performed at Cain Park in Cleveland Heights, Ohio. Wonderful show where they played Close To The Edge, Going For The One, and The Yes Album, all in their entirety. :D Chris brought a whole slew of basses that he used, each one appropriate for the song at hand. And, probably to one-up Steve, with all the guitars he brought to play. :mrgreen:
pag
Intermediate Member

Post by pag »

BBC2 Sounding Out Yes at Hemel Hempstead is available on DVD.
The same week that show was filmed I went to see Yes at Manchester Free Trade Hall. The band played tracks from Fragile which wasn't released until some weeks later.

Return to “Chris Squire and Yes Forum”