Ric repairman

Those who flock to The Byrds
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Ric repairman

Post by Folkie »

I'm just curious, Al. What problems have you had with the 360/12?
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Hi, Al:

I haven't seen you in quite a while!!! The summer was extremely busy and crazy!!! I had used Thomastik-Infeld strings on my LERM (RM 370-12) for about a year. I also kept the strings at concert pitch-- not a half step down!!! Then, I finally decided to try what Roger McGuinn has been advocating for decades-- Pyramid strings, made in Germany. I also kept them at concert pitch-- for two weeks!!

Then, right before my gig, while I was tuning the Ric-- the guitar EXPLODED!!!! The "R" tailpiece and bridge went flying into the audience!!! It took me several weeks to get a new tailpiece from Rickenbacker-- and $110!!! The luthier in Burlington, Dr. Zyg, put back the tailpiece and bridge.

Then, I posted here for help. Did anyone know a REALLY GOOD Ric repairman? I wanted to get my guitar checked out and the electronics done correctly!!!! Someone suggested Mouradian Guitars, which is north of Boston-- a 3 hour ride! When I went to check out reviews of the two main repairmen-- Jim and his son, John-- I was amazed. On different web sites and totaling hundreds of reviewers, these two guys had PERFECT 5-star ratings. And the customers raved about their knowledge and talents. So, I gave them a call. I asked specifically if they knew a great deal about Rics-- Jim, the father cheerfully answered: "I love Rickenbackers!!! I've worked on them for over 30 years!!! In speaking with him about this, I quickly learned that he was extremely knowledgeable!!!

About a month or so ago, I went all the way to his shop, near Burlington, Massachusetts. I was there when he opened the store. Because it was a three-hour ride, I stayed in the area for three hours or so, until he finished. I told him that my LERM had not really sounded right for years, that the pickups and toggle switch didn't seem to work, and about the RADIO stations that the McGuinn compressor picked up all the time! I also had him check out a NEW Ric 360 Amber Fireglo 360 that I just bought, a 6-string.

Although he was pretty much alone for that day-- and was barraged with other customers-- he fixed ALL of the problems!!!! There were "shorts" in the wiring and others had wired the electronics in the wrong way. Now, all three pickups work properly and the radio stations are barely perceptible!!!!

So, that is why I have raved about him-- the FIRST repairman who actually knows about Rickenbacker guitars!
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Hi, Al:

I haven't seen you in quite a while!!! The summer was extremely busy and crazy!!! I had used Thomastik-Infeld strings on my LERM (RM 370-12) for about a year. I also kept the strings at concert pitch-- not a half step down!!! Then, I finally decided to try what Roger McGuinn has been advocating for decades-- Pyramid strings, made in Germany. I also kept them at concert pitch-- for two weeks!!

Then, right before my gig, while I was tuning the Ric-- the guitar EXPLODED!!!! The "R" tailpiece and bridge went flying into the audience!!! It took me several weeks to get a new tailpiece from Rickenbacker-- and $110!!! The luthier in Burlington, Dr. Zyg, put back the tailpiece and bridge.

Then, I posted here for help. Did anyone know a REALLY GOOD Ric repairman? I wanted to get my guitar checked out and the electronics done correctly!!!! Someone suggested Mouradian Guitars, which is north of Boston-- a 3 hour ride! When I went to check out reviews of the two main repairmen-- Jim and his son, John-- I was amazed. On different web sites and totaling hundreds of reviewers, these two guys had PERFECT 5-star ratings. And the customers raved about their knowledge and talents. So, I gave them a call. I asked specifically if they knew a great deal about Rics-- Jim, the father cheerfully answered: "I love Rickenbackers!!! I've worked on them for over 30 years!!! In speaking with him about this, I quickly learned that he was extremely knowledgeable!!!
Byrdfan1948

Post by Byrdfan1948 »

Folkie, Regarding my comment and your question regarding my 360/12. Specifically, this guitar is very difficult for me to play. On the other hand my LERM 370/12 is very easy to play. I have contacted Rickenbacker, and have spoken with a very helpful person who assures me the necks are the same. One of course has 24 frets the other 21.

It is very hard if not impossible to really get the 360/12 guitar in proper tune. The intonation is awful. In fact I actually have to tune it somewhat out of tune when the strings are open to allow me to play a simple G chord in tune.

Lastly the strings buzz, and almost seem lose, yet it is tuned to normal pitch as is my 370/12. I no longer tune 1/2 step down on any of my 12 strings as Karl mentions. The string height is not set too low, and I have tried different string sets.

I have had it looked at by two pros and had them both set it up. Sadly still it simply is for the most part unplayable. Obviously they both looked into at least the typical things that might cause the issues I mention.

I do like the Hi gains better than the toasters. And to be honest I get a better Byrds sound with it together with my Jangle Box, than I do with my 370/12 with either the on board compressor or the same Jangle Box. So at this point it's either as I say mostly wall art, or I can and do use it from time to time for doing some lead parts, when doing recordings in my home studio.

At least Roger did sign this for me many years ago when he was still doing that, so at least it looks good on the wall!!! Al
Byrdfan1948

Post by Byrdfan1948 »

Hey Karl, yes it has been a very long time!!!

What do you mean "there were shorts in the wiring, and other's had wired the electronics the wrong way? I assume these guys either had, or obtained from Rickenbacker, the original Ric wiring diagram for the on board compressor? Are you saying the toggle switch did not work as is described in the booklet that came with the guitar? I know like me you got your LERM second hand. Do you think the previous owner may have had it rewired?? For what it is worth the toggle switch on my 370 works as described in the booklet.

Even though you are now happy with your 370 it might benefit both of us if we got together at my place with our 370's to compare them, as well as see if yours after this work still picks up the radio station mine does behind my house up on West Peak? If your does not, for sure I will get both my 370 as well as my 360 up to the same guys you did.

Regarding the Pyramid strings Roger recommends, or at least one time did recommend............ After taking out a mortgage to buy a set, I tried them once too a number of years ago. I honestly thought they were awful. Way too heavy, dull sounding, and no question probably putting way too much strain on the neck assembly. I took them right off..........Must have been a sight to see your tail piece and bridge fly off!!! I guess better that then you snapping the neck in half as you tuned them up.
I now just use D'Addario Elixers ( for some reason I'm fond of the name :-) ) Or the strings David recommends.

I'm out here in Jackson Hole until Sept 16 but maybe shortly after I get back?? Al
drumbob
RRF Consultant

Post by drumbob »

Can I make a suggestion? Please post your non-Byrds questions and topics in the places they belong on the forum. You seem to have a habit of posting stuff in this section that doesn't belong here. Thank you.
Folkie
Advanced Member

Post by Folkie »

Al,

Thanks for the response. I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your 360/12.

I'm sure you know all about the limitations of the 6-saddle bridges, as far as intonation goes. Also, just about every Rick 12 I've come across that's not strung with flatwounds produces some sour notes on the low E-pair when fretting a G-chord, until you lighten your touch and play right behind the fret.

Despite all this, it really sounds like your 360/12 has serious issues, since the change of string gauges and the attention of those two techs didn't tackle the problems. Is the guitar still under warranty?

Robert
Byrdfan1948

Post by Byrdfan1948 »

Hi Robert,

Hey you know, I never gave changing to a 12 saddle bridge on my 360/12 a thought. The intonation problem is really the most serious. If I could resolve that problem I bet all the other things I mentions could then be better dealt with. Thanks for the comment and idea........... I'll give it a try!!!!!!!! Maybe even some light gauge flat wounds too. :-))) Al D'Addario

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”