Ric repairman

Those who flock to The Byrds
kvalois

Ric repairman

Post by kvalois »

Hi, again
Could anyone suggest a good Rickenbacker repairman in the Connecticut or New England area? I would love to meet someone who is knowledgeable about Ric guitar electronics
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Re: Ric repairman

Post by rickyfricky »

Is it specifically an electronics issue you need addressed? :?

Or are you looking for someone to do a set-up?? :idea:
Watch those teeth, Marlin. I'm not sure we've properly sedated the beast . . .
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Matt:

I want someone who KNOWS about Rickenbacker electronics and HOW Rics should sound! My RM 370-12 hasn't sounded like it used to! It's hard to describe. But, when I pick individual notes, for example, they are not as "clean sounding." There is a little bit of a "buzz." I'm sure that after 25 years, the electronics could use a "tune-up."
Badanovski

Post by Badanovski »

If your talking about a buzz that happens if your playing or not, it's possible you have some ground problem. Or more likely some outside electrical interference. If you're hearing it only while you play, it's time for new strings or a setup.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

There is no "tuning up" of the electronics, but if the problem is there, then I can build a whole new harness for probably less than a tech would charge to figure out and fix the problem. I use components that are at least the same as or better than stock.
Clint
Intermediate Member

Post by Clint »

This may be a silly question, but have you changed the battery?
Jangle, Chime & Twang.
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

thanks, everyone, for your replies. I do not want to ship the guitar. I just want to drive to the place. Yes, I have been using new batteries
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

I would recommend Mouradian Guitar in Winchester MA (near Boston).

Jim and his son Jon Mouradian do top-notch work, and are the nicest guys you'd ever wanna meet.

Perhaps someone could recommend someone In the NYC area, if that's closer.
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Thanks, Matt

Driving to Boston is okay. I just do NOT want to send the RM 370-12 anywhere. I would wait all day for the repair, or even get a hotel room and stay over!!

Karl
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Wow!! I just googled Mouradian Guitars and those guys have PERFECT scores from satisfied customers--Google and Facebook!!! Matt, are they knowledgeable about Rickenbacker guitars and their electronics?
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

kvalois wrote:Wow!! I just googled Mouradian Guitars and those guys have PERFECT scores from satisfied customers--Google and Facebook!!! Matt, are they knowledgeable about Rickenbacker guitars and their electronics?
PM sent.
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Well, I finally took my Rickenbackers to Mouradian Guitars in Winchester, Mass. EVERYTHING that EVERYONE has written about Jim and John is absolutely TRUE! Jim was extremely knowledgeable. He told me on the phone that he LOVES Rickenbackers and that he has worked on them for decades. He is the BEST ever.

After years of bringing my RM 370-12 to different people to re-string and TRY to fix the electronics-- Jim finally did it. Now, the toggle switch works again to bring up any and all of the pickups. Now, there are NO more shorts. All is repaired and the guitar sounds as good as ever!!!!

It was a three hour ride, but well worth it!!! If you live in New England, you must bring your Ric to Mouradian Guitars!!!!
rickyfricky
Intermediate Member

Post by rickyfricky »

Glad to hear it worked out Karl!! :D

My trips to Mouradian can run 15 hours door-to-door (there and back), including 5 hours on a ferry.

Well worth it knowing my basses are in such capable hands. :)
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Thanks, Matt for everything!!!! :D
Byrdfan1948

Post by Byrdfan1948 »

Karl, I haven't lookd into this forum in many months, so I just saw your posts here on this subject. So what exactly was the problem with your Ric?? From the sounds of what I read esp your comments about the toggle switch it was something specific in the hard "wiring" rather than a weak battery, or some failed or failing electronic component. If so what was it that they needed to do?
My LERM seems fine other than the radio station I pick up on it when I use the on board compressor. My Jangle Box picks that station up too, just not as well!!! At least it's 92.5 Country :-).
But to be honest I'm not 100% satisfied with either the on board compressoror, or the Jangle Box to really give me the Byrds sound I am looking for at times. It seems I always need to tweak that sound with a bit of additional EQ from my Pro Tools software.
Did these guys also set up your LERM?? MIne is set up perfectly, and for a Ric/12 is easy to play, but my 360/12 is a mess, and virtually unplayable for me. Just wall art these days, even after the guy near you worked on it. Maybe these are the right guys to look at it??? Thanks for any thoughts, All the best, Al

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”