Best multi-effects pedal or amp modeler for Rickenbackers?

Those who flock to The Byrds
kvalois

Best multi-effects pedal or amp modeler for Rickenbackers?

Post by kvalois »

Hi, all:

Years ago, Roger McGuinn used a Line6 POD for his live performances-- British Blues setting. I bought the Line6 POD 1.0 about 15 years ago and it sounded great. Then, a few years ago, I bought the 2.0 version-- which I did not like as much. Of course, the best compressor of all are the various Jangleboxes (which I own, too).

But, I always like to see what others are using and what they think!!! I play CLEAN-- no distortion-- and tons of Byrds, Beatles, 60s jingle jangle. So, has anyone tried the new Line6 HD 500X (?) or the Voxtone Lab EX or Digitech RP500?
Folkie
Advanced Member

Re: Best multi-effects pedal or amp modeler for Rickenbacker

Post by Folkie »

No, but a friend of mine always plays his 360/12V64 through a Boss GT-100 multi-effects unit. I own a GT-100, and the instruction manual is totally incomplete and only gets you started with the many, intricate things the unit can do. I've never tried playing either of my Rick 12's through the GT-100, as I prefer a simpler signal chain: Guitar-->Boss Tuner-->JangleBox JB2-->J-Gate Noise Suppressor-->amp. If you do a RRF search, I'm sure you'll come up with many of my friend's posts. Just search for "Boss GT-100."
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

My favorite multi-effects pedal for all instruments, not just Ricks, is the Strymon Flint. :D
aclaar877

Post by aclaar877 »

I'm Robert's friend - I have the Boss GT-100 and really like it a lot, so much that I'm not in the market for any other effects at the moment. I use it with a Vox AC-15, and therefore turn off the amp models 99% of the time. Sometimes the models are fun to play around with, but for high-gain sounds using an OD with your amp sounds more natural. I have a 360/12v64 with toaster pickups, and play Byrds, Smiths, REM, U2 and some Belle and Sebastian most of the time. I used to have the original black Janglebox and Boss CS-3 Compressor/Sustainer, but don't regret selling them years ago since I am pleased with the GT-100. For my Byrds patch, I like the Dyna Comp model but it is a little noisy, so I turn the noise gate up a bit but it doesn't seem to affect tone when playing at all. I also like the light comp model--you can get extra "unobtrusive" sustain with minimal bite on your string attack. EQ options are also useful, like using a low cut and a little boost somewhere in the 2-4 kHz range. I haven't played an HD500, but I have heard that's a pretty good unit too. After reading tons of forums, I think the consensus is the HD500 has better amp models and is better for line-in direct recording, while the GT-100 has better effects in front of an amp for playing live. If you want amp models for Byrds tones, the Natural Clean and JC-120 amp models on the GT-100 are pretty good compared to some of the other higher gain amp models in the unit, so those should work pretty well. I have considered doing the bright cap mod on the AC15 since it is a very bright amp and I'm playing a trebly guitar through it, but I haven't done it yet. I turn down some of the high EQ to tame the chime just so it doesn't kill the ears... I have not played through a Strymon Flint but if it's like other Strymon pedals I'm sure it sounds great too.
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Thanks,everyone, for your input. I will have to check out the Boss GT-100 and the Strymon Flint, too!!!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The Flint does have lots of effects but what it does have it does really well. 8)
kvalois

Post by kvalois »

Jeff

The Strymon pedals, especially the Big and Blue Sky, are absolutely gorgeous in their lush reverbs. I love listening to the videos on You Tube. BUT, could ANY of the Strymon pedals be used to play Byrds or Beatles? I have heard the sound samples of the Strymon compressor on the company website. But,like ALMOST every demo-- NOBODY plays these compressors with a Rickenbacker!!!!!

Of course, the Jangle Box is the notable exception-- and still the BEST. But, I am always intrigued by multi-effects pedals and what they could do for 60s music. Remember, Roger McGuinn himself used a LINE 6 POD for years before he settled on the Janglebox!!! :D
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Perhaps the main reason everybody uses the JB compressor is because they are trying to mimic Roger McGuinn. Outside of the bright boost on the JB what makes these compressors "special" compared to other compressors?

I don't play much Beatles or Byrds music these days, but I would think and good compressor along with the appropriate EQ on an amp or some other outboard gear could create the desired sounds.

As to the Flint, in particular for B&B music. Good ??? If one needed superb reverbs and tremolos to recreate part of the sound then I would think it may be a good candidate. I will say that the '60s Spring Reverb on the Flint does not recreate a true multiple long spring tank but I generally use either the '70s or '80s settings for what I am looking for, sonically.

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”