"The Bells of Rhymney", Byrds cover from Studio Z

Those who flock to The Byrds
vynesmusic

"The Bells of Rhymney", Byrds cover from Studio Z

Post by vynesmusic »

This goes out to Jim, of whom I have not communicated with for quite awhile.....back on the RR grid.....here's my cover of my favorite Byrdsong of all..... :roll: :D :mrgreen:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13215803
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
jimk
RRF Consultant

Re: "The Bells of Rhymney", Byrds cover from Studio Z

Post by jimk »

This is a deceptively tough song to cover. And I haven't had the courage to do any more with it myself than just sit on the sofa and go through the chord changes, or sit behind my drum kit and play along with the recording. Nice try.
JimK
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

jimk wrote:This is a deceptively tough song to cover. And I haven't had the courage to do any more with it myself than just sit on the sofa and go through the chord changes, or sit behind my drum kit and play along with the recording. Nice try.
JimK
"Nice Try"...? didn't like it I guess..... :roll: :oops:
"All these things will be lost in time....like....tears....in rain...."----Roy Batty, Bladerunner
jimk
RRF Consultant

Post by jimk »

Don't take it personally. Even the best of tribute bands have had a little difficulty nailing this one. Crosby's high harmony line is really up there in the stratosphere. He reaches A above middle C. Unless a singer has a pretty well developed falsetto, the whole song, particularly the ending chord, won't be quite there.

The second thing that escapes many players is McGuinn's basic playing style. I've seen guitar players on YouTube try to flat pick his parts. It just doesn't work. If you finger pick (thumb and two fingers) you can get closer. But to nail it down just right, I mean really nail it, you need to learn to hybrid pick; flat pick, plus middle and ring fingers.

You really do deserve credit for making the attempt. Keep up the good work.
JimK
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

jimk wrote:Don't take it personally. Even the best of tribute bands have had a little difficulty nailing this one. Crosby's high harmony line is really up there in the stratosphere. He reaches A above middle C. Unless a singer has a pretty well developed falsetto, the whole song, particularly the ending chord, won't be quite there.

The second thing that escapes many players is McGuinn's basic playing style. I've seen guitar players on YouTube try to flat pick his parts. It just doesn't work. If you finger pick (thumb and two fingers) you can get closer. But to nail it down just right, I mean really nail it, you need to learn to hybrid pick; flat pick, plus middle and ring fingers.

You really do deserve credit for making the attempt. Keep up the good work.
JimK
Ok...fair enough...Thanks! :D
bowser2533

Post by bowser2533 »

Not bad. The 12 String sounds good. Jim K is right about the Solo tho. It has to be finger picked. I have a teaching video on this on UTube. Type in Gary Jacob/12 String Guitar. This may help. Again not a bad job. Post more. Gary
vynesmusic

Post by vynesmusic »

bowser2533 wrote:Not bad. The 12 String sounds good. Jim K is right about the Solo tho. It has to be finger picked. I have a teaching video on this on UTube. Type in Gary Jacob/12 String Guitar. This may help. Again not a bad job. Post more. Gary
Again...I'm not trying for a perfect reproduction....can't do it...i just wanted to play and record the song like I would if I could get a decent band together, in an alternate universe where I could play the tune in a good, crowded bar..... :roll:

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”