RRF Consultant

Happy birthday woodyng!

Post by jps »

Best to you! 8)
woodyng

Re: Happy birthday woodyng!

Post by woodyng »

Thanks,Jeff!
Now,just send my present (the JG bass on the leftof your avatar) to Oregon! :lol:

I did actually wind up with kind a of bass birthday prezzie of a 2013 Fender American Standard Jazz bass.
My first Fender in about 10 years.....
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

HBD there Woodyng…pix of the new bass?
Don't let democracy end democracy.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

woodyng wrote:...a 2013 Fender American Standard Jazz bass.
My first Fender in about 10 years.....
:shock: Slippery slope there! :mrgreen:
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Post by doctorwho »

Happy Birthday! 8)
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Kiddwad57 wrote:HBD there Woodyng…pix of the new bass?
That will be forthcoming,i'm supposed to conduct the trade this weekend,going to wind up with 2 Fenders. (There's that slippery slope you mentioned,Jeff!)
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

As promised!
Attachments
image.jpeg
LenMinNJ
Intermediate Member

Post by LenMinNJ »

HB, Woody!

What's that other bass: a '59 Precision RI?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I used to have this 2003 AV '62 Jazz Bass for a while.
Attachments
Basses Group-1200-05.jpg
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

Nice set Woody, (really! and congratulations!), but I'm almost afraid to think what you traded for them.

Jeff, what is your impression of the Fenders? I've been playing one since I was sixteen, I still love it, and like my JB fiver, but the Rick is the one that is out on the stand, that says "let's play!" these days.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

LenMinNJ wrote:HB, Woody!

What's that other bass: a '59 Precision RI?
Kind of looks like one,Right? :wink:
It's a 2012 MIM P bass,that i replaced the white pg with a gold anodized one that Ron Sodano kindly offered me.(thanks,Ron,it looks a million percent better!) I'm gonna look to add a thumb rest to complete the image.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Kiddwad57 wrote:Nice set Woody, (really! and congratulations!), but I'm almost afraid to think what you traded for them.
No Ricks this time! 8)
I recently bought a beautiful maple-mahogoney sandwiched '95 Ken Smith Burner Artist bass from a local friend. He purchased it new,and it still looked new! The bass is a woodwork piece of art,and has a superfast neck.After playing it for a few weeks in 2 different bands,i realized it was not really working for me tonally. I knew my friend had an emotional attachment to the bass,and had agreed he would be the first person i contacted should i decide not to keep it. He also has an Alembic Essence,which was very tempting,but he mentioned he had bought this AM STD J a few monthes back,so i took it home and played it for a week,again in 2 very different band settings,and absolutely loved it in both. He was also in the process of trying to sell the P bass on ebay,and not getting any good offers,so we worked out that i would take both Fenders in return for the Smith. I'm not finding the P to be all that endearing to play,but i think i can get it there with a bit of work,string changes,etc.
I am over the moon with the J,it's much better than the ones i've owned in the past. The pickups sound fantastic.
And again,this experience brings me back to my love for the sound of a good passive bass.
My friend absolutely loves my walnut cheyenne,so there may be a transaction happening there at some point.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Nathan, I got my first Fender when I was 14, a late '60s Jazz Bass (JB). It served me well until I got my first Rickenbacker, the '67 4005WB in 1973 that I then owned for 38 years (I traded the Jazz Bass for it). Over the years I have owned a few other JBs (all very early '70s models), a mid '90s CIJ Mustang Bass, two 1972 Telecaster Basses, the '03 AV '62 JB in the above photo, '97 California Precision Special, and a '10 G&L JB-2. They all ended up with some mod or another, and they are all with different owners, now. In the end, I found the narrow nut/string spacing of the JB style neck to not work for me, my hand would cramp due to it. The tone on most of them were classic Fender, if I were to get another (doubtful) it would be a '60s Mustang Bass as IIRC they had a Precision Bass width neck, not the JB width of the CIJ one I had.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

jps wrote:I used to have this 2003 AV '62 Jazz Bass for a while.
I do really like the concentric controls of this model,
I am glad that the newer Fenders have their sunburst finishes as subtle blends instead of the "double ring" thing they did for decades. (Much like RIC has done in more recent years,too).
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

That AV RI JB of mine does have a nice blending of the sunburst, it was the digital camera that could not show it very well (I do miss my black & white film days!).

Return to “Landmarks”