Non standard Ric colors on Ebay

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

hydro

Non standard Ric colors on Ebay

Post by hydro »

Hi,

I apologize if this is a) a stupid question or b) has already been discussed elsewhere, but I didn't find anything on this via google.

On ebay, there are a large number of what look like brand new Rickenbacker guitars, often in unusual colors that aren't typically available. These almost always say "From Japan" on them. They don't appear to be fakes, just normal Rics in different colors. They also list at a premium over the regular models we see over here in the States.

Does Rickenbacker make special guitars for export to Japan in non-standard colors? What's up with these guitars?
Anachronism

Re: Non standard Ric colors on Ebay

Post by Anachronism »

I believe RIC does produce different options for some foreign markets.
4004Ci, 4003, 650S, 380L
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

They are special runs for those particular markets.
xcoyle
Intermediate Member

Post by xcoyle »

Clinton, the Japanese market has always been good to RIC and in return they do special models and colors for their dealers. With the U.S. dollar doing well, these have become somewhat affordable. I brought back a 620/6 in Plumglo this summer for $1670. And don't forget their will be a import charge. It was about $75 charged by the U.S. postal service. So $1750 is about $500 more than I would pay for a standard color in like new condition from a U.S. ebayer. But who doesn't like plums?
xcoyle
Intermediate Member

Post by xcoyle »

Peral Jetglo, the first I have seen of this?
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

xcoyle wrote:Clinton, the Japanese market has always been good to RIC and in return they do special models and colors for their dealers. With the U.S. dollar doing well, these have become somewhat affordable. I brought back a 620/6 in Plumglo this summer for $1670. And don't forget their will be a import charge. It was about $75 charged by the U.S. postal service. So $1750 is about $500 more than I would pay for a standard color in like new condition from a U.S. ebayer. But who doesn't like plums?

Well, hey, I like plums too! Can ya post a picture? :mrgreen:
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Metallic Plumglo
Plumglo.jpg
Santa Ana Skyglo
SA Skyglo.jpg
squirebass
Veteran RRF member

Post by squirebass »

Ron, those are NICE!!

One day, I would like to be able to pick up one of these special finish models!
xpitt
Intermediate Member

Post by xpitt »

xcoyle wrote:Peral Jetglo, the first I have seen of this?
:roll: Uuuh ! That TRC looks gorgeous !
hydro

Post by hydro »

Thanks for the info y'all

Some of these guitars are really beautiful. I just wanted to make sure they weren't copies or something! Glad to hear folks have had good experiences ordering these from overseas.

It does make my life goal of a Ric in every color a bit harder to achieve now!! :p
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

I thought one wouldn't have to pay an import charge on repatriating an American product? I've only ever bought two instruments from overseas and had to pay on both: a UK gtr from the UK, and a Japanese guitar from South Africa. Am I confusing duty with some other kind of charge?
xcoyle
Intermediate Member

Post by xcoyle »

It's a good question Jdog. The form I signed did have options to not pay. I just did not look into that carefully.

Does anyone the law thang on this?
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I think if it was produced here and the item is coming back into the country there are no taxes, duties, VAT, that sort of stuff, but if you are using a company such as UPS, Fedex, etc. there will be some form of brokerage fees to be paid to them.

This is probably all incorrect so I expect I will be corrected at some point in the future. :mrgreen:
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's no charge too. If there is an option to not pay, take it. If by some slim chance we're wrong, worst case you'll get a bill later and it's about 6 or 7% on guitars over $500, IIRC.
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

If you are buying from a Japan seller shipping to the US, ask for EMS (Express Mail Service), which the Japan seller will probably use anyway. In my experience, an item shipped via EMS will be relayed to USPS for delivery in US as a "Priority Mail" item, and there won't be any extra charges. Same applies to items shipped from Canada to US via CanadaPost. This has been my experience.

However, if the non-US seller ships to US via FedEx or UPS, there will often be a "brokerage" charge of anywhere from 5 to 10% regardless of where the item was made.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”