Optima flatwounds 4440

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

thisismusicinc

Optima flatwounds 4440

Post by thisismusicinc »

I saw an image on instagram of these new production strings, Optima 4440. Hope it's of interest:

.045 .057 .077 .100 - Set / E-Bass 4-string

Pure Nickel Flatwound
Round core, with silk inlay
Long Scale

OPTIMA RB FLATWOUND bass strings - For bass players who yearn for that old-school thump of the 50's and 60's, Optima has gone back in time to re-produce a flat wound bass string, which truly revives the feel and sound of an era... the way you remember it.

Optima has endeavoured to make the RB FLATWOUNDS authentic in every way. Constructed over a round core for increased flexibility and lower tension, the RB FLATWOUNDS are wound with a pure nickel flat wire, which is then polished to a high shine, resulting in a string that is both supple and comfortable to play. With the RB FLATWOUNDS Optima has created a flat wound bass string which echo's the classic tones of yesteryear. The core consists of the finest round steel with a silk inlay, the windings are wound of alloys specially made for Optima, and manufactured in the Double Wound process. Last but not least, the pure nickel flat wire which is being finely polished at the very end.

So far the optima webpage hasn't been updated (only the German catalogue), but here's a link to a webshop who got them https://schneidermusik.de/shop1/product ... _id/189138
The image I first saw is from the dutch dealer Peterbuilt basses (no affiliation), who says he got them in stock.
Thinking of put some flats on one of the ricks, maybe I'll try these
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Optima flatwounds 4440

Post by jps »

Well, you'll never know what they are like until you have tried a set. :wink: 8)
thisismusicinc

Post by thisismusicinc »

Yep, I'll see if I can get a set here in Norway. I'll give a review here if I do.
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

Thanks for the tip. Been waiting for those. Just ordered two sets. From the description,
the package, and the designation ‘4440’, my expectations are quite high.
fazeka

Post by fazeka »

Would also be interested in these, especially the tension numbers and how these tensions compare to others (TI JF344, etc.).
chefothefuture
Advanced Member

Post by chefothefuture »

I'm still waiting for a US distributor to get them.....

Strings by Mail says any day now.....
Captain Bob

Post by Captain Bob »

Those seeking some player information may wish to contact Luke (loveboatcaptain) in Britain for information. He was flight testing those (the band is RenattaJane) around the end of January for Optima. When he received them he sent me a picture (different packaging) of about 7 or 8 sets. Included both .40 -.096 and .045 -.100 sets. Optima had the original specs for the old Maxima's still in house.
1964 4001S Fireglo
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Captain Bob wrote:Those seeking some player information may wish to contact Luke (loveboatcaptain) in Britain for information. He was flight testing those (the band is RenattaJane) around the end of January for Optima. When he received them he sent me a picture (different packaging) of about 7 or 8 sets. Included both .40 -.096 and .045 -.100 sets. Optima had the original specs for the old Maxima's still in house.
Awesome.
ibal

Post by ibal »

Captain Bob wrote:Those seeking some player information may wish to contact Luke (loveboatcaptain) in Britain for information. He was flight testing those (the band is RenattaJane) around the end of January for Optima. When he received them he sent me a picture (different packaging) of about 7 or 8 sets. Included both .40 -.096 and .045 -.100 sets. Optima had the original specs for the old Maxima's still in house.
Hopefully they've got the formula right, but I don't think the gauging is the same. John Hall says the old Maxima 4440's were .040, .050, .077, and .112
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewt ... =5&t=15631
Peterbuilt

Post by Peterbuilt »

thisismusicinc wrote: The image I first saw is from the dutch dealer Peterbuilt basses (no affiliation), who says he got them in stock.
That's correct - have them in stock (Optima dealer). The best flats I've used on a Rickenbacker so far. Exactly the sound and (comfortable) feel I had in mind.
Gear: #greenmachines
- Peterbuilt Basses / RickenbackerFarm (dealer) -
edski
Advanced Member

Post by edski »

Peter! Welcome to the RRF!
Wiker

Post by Wiker »

ibal wrote:Hopefully they've got the formula right, but I don't think the gauging is the same. John Hall says the old Maxima 4440's were .040, .050, .077, and .112
http://www.rickenbacker.com/forum/viewt ... =5&t=15631
Well, the old Maxima 4440 set I have measures .045 .055 .073 .101
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

1) Manufacturing tolerances can vary, although probably not quite as much as the different specs stated above. One to three thou different from spec would be a manufacturing tolerance; more than that may not be.
2) Manufacturing is always subject to the availability of raw materials; perhaps at different times the exact diameter of core or wrap or both were or were not available, and the closest item available may have been substituted to keep production going.
3) Just because that Optima says they have the "original" spec, then what is original? To what time period? To what basses? Back then, strings were strings. That doesn't even mean they were always constructed according to "spec." Musical instrument manufacturers of all sorts have always had contracts for OEM supplies that may or may not differ from what would be available after market or retail market directly from the same manufacturer.
4) Even if Mr. JH were to pull old supply contracts, they probably only say sets of bass strings, and not gauges. The infatuation with gauges and tensions (which I concededly helped promote) is very recent in the history of the electric bass guitar.

These new Optimas are probably great strings. But I probably won't try them any time soon. Pure nickel wrap turns my fingers black and my hand perspiration corrodes them. I will stick with either GHS Progressives, Fender or EB stainless flats, or (currently) various nylon tapewounds, depending on the instrument.
Captain Bob

Post by Captain Bob »

After opening a new set of flats (I can't speak for every brand) such as TI's,(tonally, the best balanced flat's I have used) Pyramids, GHS, etc, you'll find the polishing compound residue remains.
Paper towel and naphtha (check lighter fluid label contents) should be used to wipe the strings clean prior to installation. I discussed this with a couple of distributors many years ago. I suppose manufacturers don't properly clean them because of labor cost. You'll find once its removed, your fingers will never be black.

As far as 4440 string gauges, I seem to recall (FWIW in the 70's) .101 for the E string. I have an NOS Rickenbacker 4440 set, but they are still sealed and remain unopened.
1964 4001S Fireglo
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Captain Bob wrote:After opening a new set of flats (I can't speak for every brand) such as TI's,(tonally, the best balanced flat's I have used) Pyramids, GHS, etc, you'll find the polishing compound residue remains.
Paper towel and naphtha (check lighter fluid label contents) should be used to wipe the strings clean prior to installation. I discussed this with a couple of distributors many years ago. I suppose manufacturers don't properly clean them because of labor cost. You'll find once its removed, your fingers will never be black.

As far as 4440 string gauges, I seem to recall (FWIW in the 70's) .101 for the E string. I have an NOS Rickenbacker 4440 set, but they are still sealed and remain unopened.
In the past I have also used alcohol to remove the residues from the strings, it works just as well for those wary of using naphtha.

An old, unopened set of strings is useless unless they are intended for the string museum. :wink:

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”