Bridge pickup cover with HB1

Building pickups from the ground up

Moderator: jingle_jangle

bottom shelf

Bridge pickup cover with HB1

Post by bottom shelf »

Hey guys, can the bridge pickup cover still be used if you replace the bridge pickup with an HB1? This is on a box stock modern 4003. I'd like to replace both pickups with HB1s, but only if I can keep the bridge pickup cover on there.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: Bridge pickup cover with HB1

Post by jps »

Yes, you can, it will fit fine. Given how hot the HB-1 is you will have the mounting plate set pretty low so the pickup cover will need to be mounted above the springs or it will hit the strings. That will make the cover sit pretty high, but there are many photos showing folks who have done so, search around for one as I don't have one to post.
bottom shelf

Post by bottom shelf »

Ahh! That's great news. I'm going to order two directly. Along with some 500K pots. I'll be ready to use spacers where needed for everything to be the correct height. Thanks!
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

Don't know about modern Ricks,but i had an hb1 in the pickup cavity of my '72 4000. (With the cover on).
It sounded fabulous,too.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

The 4000 didn't have to deal with potential pickup mismatches, gain-wise.
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

jps wrote:The 4000 didn't have to deal with potential pickup mismatches, gain-wise.
Ok. :? How is that pertinent? The OP is asking if a hb1 will work in a standard Rick bridge pickup assembly with the cover on,and says he plans to put a matched pair of hb1's in his 4003. :?:
It worked on my 4000,which also had the original pots and wiring replaced with 500k ones...
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

Ok; I didn't see the "both" pickups part, probably as the post seemed to focus on the bridge cover. So, never mind. :wink: I was thinking he was going to use the bridge HB-1 with a toaster or hi-gain at the neck.
bottom shelf

Post by bottom shelf »

HB1s on order! They'll be here soon. Tell me: where do you guys get your 500K pots? Looks like CTS may be the go-to brand here, but is there anything I should know before ordering pots? Does it matter if the shaft is split or solid? Looks like the knobs have setscrews, so I'm guessing solid is better. I can't find one with a switch and a solid shaft though.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

bottom shelf wrote:HB1s on order! They'll be here soon. Tell me: where do you guys get your 500K pots? Looks like CTS may be the go-to brand here, but is there anything I should know before ordering pots?
Yes. Try the pickups with the existing harness before you change everything out; regardless what others may say, you need to listen and decide, for yourself, as to whether the pots need to be changed out, or not.
bottom shelf

Post by bottom shelf »

jps wrote:
bottom shelf wrote:HB1s on order! They'll be here soon. Tell me: where do you guys get your 500K pots? Looks like CTS may be the go-to brand here, but is there anything I should know before ordering pots?
Yes. Try the pickups with the existing harness before you change everything out; regardless what others may say, you need to listen and decide, for yourself, as to whether the pots need to be changed out, or not.
You know, I think that's a good idea. I'll do it. After trying it, I might temporarily put 150K or 200K fixed resistor on the end of the pot, and get an idea of what the difference would be. Thanks!
donhank

Post by donhank »

Hey Jeff,

Welcome to RRF. You are likely to find a wealth of information here, frequently mixed in with a super-size helping of humor.

I play a 4000 with an HB1 pickup installed.

For my playing style, I prefer a bezel but your stock pickup cover will fit perfectly with no modifications.

I first tried the HB1 with the original pots and tone cap, but for me the tone was simply too deep. I bought a pair of CTS 500k pots (mine measured 483k and 487k) and an .022 cap from Stewart MacDonald Guitar Supply Co. I think the tone spectrum is much wider (both top and bottom) with the new pots and cap. Also plenty of output and very little noise. As our brother Woody said . . . sounds good !
Attachments
black & chrome.JPG
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

The pots, AND the tone caps should be changed for HB1's since the stock .047uF tone caps also lend a darker tone to humbucking pickups. Coil tapping (actually shorting) is also a nice option with HB1's once you break the other two wires out that are under the heat shrink at the end. This can be facilitated with push-pull pots. 500K pots and .022uF tone caps really open up the tone of these pickups.
Kiddwad57
Intermediate Member

Post by Kiddwad57 »

donhank, couple of questions. are those simply black bridge parts from a hipshot bridge? Any reason other than aesthetics? Are you a finger style player or do you use a plectrum?

As for the general discussion here, I like my HB1s a lot with the stock circuit. I haven't tried them with it modified yet. Bound to happen eventually but other fish to fry at the moment. I may try some toasters and mess around with different combinations before I change things out more permanently. Right now it's a bit burpy, like I always think of humbuckers, but that's part of the attraction. Still sounds like a Rickenbacker, through and through.
Don't let democracy end democracy.
donhank

Post by donhank »

Hi Nathan,

Yes, those are standard Hipshot saddles and hardware with black finish on an aluminum/chrome bridge. Here' the story: after a couple of years playing, some of the original hardware needed replacement. A quick phone call to Hipshot customer service and I was good to go. The black finish was an aesthetic decision - the need for spare parts wasn't.

I am a finger style player who uses the same P-I-M-A technique whether I'm playing guitar, bass, or banjo.

Back on topic . . . I loved the sound of the original hi gain pickup in my '72 4000, but was frustrated by the noise. Installing an HB1 with 500k pots kept the fundamental tone, but expanded it - more bottom, more top - and no noise.

Don

Return to “Winding Up With The Best: by Sergio Silva”