Roll Call !!

General Rickenbacker discussion

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: Roll Call !!

Post by doctorwho »

espidog wrote:
xStonr wrote:It took a long time but I just got here.
Gorgeous! Even just looking at that photo I'm getting the new rick smell... 8)
+1!

Welcome aboard, Stephen!
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Still here.

Just had Big Red set up; neck adjustment, fret leveling, intonation, and both toasters wax potted to eliminate squeal when using overdrive, distortion, clean boost, or dome combination of the three. I can use a lot more saturation now, which really sounds great with the 14K, overwound bridge toaster. Local guitar tech Danny Ott said it wasn’t as “chimey” sounding as a 7.5K “Scat” toaster, but it sounded great, and similar to a P90. The neck toaster is 12K; Sergio Silva wound both pickups, using Alnico 3 magnets instead of 5s (Sweeter tone, per Sergio).
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
Tubwompus

Post by Tubwompus »

I swore off FB so I’m thankful for this site’s continued existence.
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

paologregorio wrote:...Sergio Silva wound both pickups, using Alnico 3 magnets instead of 5s (Sweeter tone, per Sergio).
'

Sergio's work is top shelf.
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

I'm still here - love the Forum!

There are some new instruments being introduced by RIC, but they're small production runs of limited editions for select dealers.

One of the major players has been Andy Babiuk's Fab Gear in Fairport, NY. In the last 3 years, Andy has had 3
runs of guitars, and one run of basses. Andy's first run in 2017 was "SnoGlow" 330's - entirely white guitars, except the fingerboards.
He has also had "Fab Gear" Old Style 360's - JetGlo with Checkered Double-Binding in 2018. And recently in 2020, a run of Candy Apple
Purple 4003 Basses, and about to be introduced is a run of "Fab Gear" Old Style 360's in Vintage FireGlo with checkered binding.

I have Fab Gear 360 JetGlo #18, and am awaiting delivery of Fab Gear 360 FireGlo, also #18. They're amazing guitars.

Being retired from my day job, but still performing, I still have the Rick passion, and just when I think I can't do anymore with my collection,
another must-have deal comes along.... I recently acquired a brand-new 2020 330/12 FG, and just this week, a 325C58 in really nice shape.

I've learned a lot on the forum, and check in almost every day. It's an invaluable resource. Thank you, Peter!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Bob thanks for sharing your thoughts. It is joyful for me, living vicariously through your recent acquisitions. Long may they continue.
Don't forget to post photos as these gems continue to arrive at your place.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
paologregorio

Post by paologregorio »

Ditto what Admin. said; thanks for your thoughts, Bob!

I similarly appreciate the Fab Gear limited runs. They are, relatively speaking reasonably priced! The sno-Glo 4003 was extremely tempting. though I ultimately passed on buying one. After gazing at the photos of the Jetglo Fab Gear 360 for a couple months I succumbed to temptation and bought a Jetglo Fab Gear 360 as well; Great Guitar!

I’m not sure if this is generally well-known, but those who own an example may notice the Fab Gear 360 neck feels different from a standard 330 or 360. I received my guitar in December 2018. Shortly after, At NAMM 2019, I learned RiC used a model 350 neck for the Fab Gear 360. I really like the neck profile; my compliments to RIC on that decision.

I have two Rickenbacker fetishes; a “double down fetish,” pointed out by Paul W., and and an “Accent Vibrato fetish” pointed out by Dan Saifer; I installed an Accent VB on my Fab Gear 360. I may install a Mastery Bridge, and wax pot the pickups.

I will likely pass on the current FG 360 OS; FG is the ubiquitous FG is the ubiquitous Rickenbacker finish, so I’ve never bought a FG Rick. FG is a beautiful finish, especially the FG finishes applied to Rickenbackers since Eric Behring has been in charge of the finishes, but I just feel like everybody else buys FG, so I want to buy another color; I know-weird/dumb. A lot of people buy Jetglo and I have two of those. Maybe I’ll reconsider if there are any left in another month or so.

This forum is fantastic; I’ve learned so much about my guitars from being a member of this forum, I’ve made a lot of friends, which is led to having so many memorable and fun times since I’ve joined this forum. The friendships have really enriched my life, for which I’m thankful. I’ve also been able to share some of my knowledge and experience of Rickenbackers with others, which I hope has been helpful to my fellow forum members. Also, I’ve been able to buy and sell a few guitars, which is been mutually beneficial. I appreciate all of you!

Here’s to 20 more years at least!
There is no reason to ever be bored.

...why yes, I suppose I do have a double bound guitar fetish...

"Uh, I like the double bounds. . . ."
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

Thanks, Paul! I'm a big fan of double-bound Ricks, also.

Here's the Fab Gear link - click on Rickennbacker Guitars and see the Fab Gear models;
the new FireGlo is an "aged" finish - a bit more "orangey" than most. Really Cool, IMO.

https://www.andybabiuksfabgear.com/
stringsncords
Intermediate Member

Post by stringsncords »

FAB 1.JPG
I just received my Fab Gear 360 CB FireGlo yesterday, undoubtedly the most beautiful Rick I have ever owned.

Check it out!
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

stringsncords wrote:
FAB 1.JPG
I just received my Fab Gear 360 CB FireGlo yesterday, undoubtedly the most beautiful Rick I have ever owned.

Check it out!
Very nice!
Last edited by jps on Tue Sep 15, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hotzenplotz
Intermediate Member

Post by Hotzenplotz »

stringsncords wrote:
FAB 1.JPG

Check it out!

Stunning, indeed!

- That's the way it has to be!

BTW a question: Does the neck PU have long or short pole pieces/ is there a cavity in the top for pole pieces?

Checkerboard... - Yummy!

PS: As You can see: still here - after a loooooong time. - No FB, never, at all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

stringsncords wrote:
FAB 1.JPG

Check it out!
Just a Corker! Congratulations!
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

stringsncords wrote:
FAB 1.JPG

Check it out!
That's something else. Incredible.
360dave
Veteran RRF member

Post by 360dave »

I've been MIA for a good while too but like a bad penny......you just know I'll turn up again!!
Peter....thanks for keeping the Forum alive and to RIC for keeping us all gassed up.

All the Best to Everyone!

Dave
Dom

Post by Dom »

Wow! Tip of the hat to whoever was at the paint booth for Bob’s guitar. Smooth color transition the whole way. Topped off with check, slash binding and black knobs...classy combination.

Return to “Rickenbacker General: by Howard Bishop”