In praise of La Bella Low Tension Flats

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

cassius987

In praise of La Bella Low Tension Flats

Post by cassius987 »

I wanted to share with the forum that I recently picked up some La Bella LTF-5A flats for my 4003/5. I was a bit concerned about the .118'' B string but thought I'd give it a try. These strings are great! The feel is about as "like butter" as strings set can get. The balance in volume and feel across strings is good (the E and B strings are by far the loudest on my bass, but I may need to adjust the pickups a bit). What impresses me most is how good the B string feels and sounds. I really prefer it to the D'Addario Chromes .135'' B string that preceded it. I gambled on the .118'' gauge under the hypothesis that the trouble of having less tension would be offset by the better tone of having fewer wraps on the string core; I now think I was right. Playing an African-American gospel style set today, I was moving between the lower and middle range of the strings to try my bass lines in different octaves, and the low B gave a nice organ-y sound.

The closest comparison is TI Jazz Flats of course. I haven't played their B string, but for EADG I can say these strings feel and sound very close but are just a smidge (and I really mean just a smidge) stiffer and have a "cleaner"/more present sound. The voicing is more articulate and fluid, but it won't cut through the mix quite as effortlessly.

I'll be keeping them on the 4003/5 for a good long time and let you know if I have any other revelations.
admin
Site Admin

Re: In praise of La Bella Low Tension Flats

Post by admin »

Nice review and at $44.99 for a 5 string set, a decent price.

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/labeltlowtef1.html
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
woodyng

Post by woodyng »

The Ltf set really sounds great pick-played on a fretted Rick.
I tried a set for awhile on my defretted Cii,which sounded really nice,but i replaced them with the Optima RB set,which seem to have a bit more lively upper range.
If thr ltf strings hadn't been cut for the Rick,i would be trying them out on my '57 RI Precision. (Currently sporting chromes).
loveboatcaptain

Post by loveboatcaptain »

woodyng wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:53 am The Ltf set really sounds great pick-played on a fretted Rick.
I tried a set for awhile on my defretted Cii,which sounded really nice,but i replaced them with the Optima RB set,which seem to have a bit more lively upper range.
If thr ltf strings hadn't been cut for the Rick,i would be trying them out on my '57 RI Precision. (Currently sporting chromes).
So… what do you prefer out of the RB flats and the LTF labellas?

Which is more punchy? Which is more the Wings over America Tone In your opinion? I’ve used the RBs and they are nice, not used the LTF set
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

Remind me please OP what year and model bass this is on?
teeder

Post by teeder »

woodyng wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:53 am The Ltf set really sounds great pick-played on a fretted Rick.
What do you like on the Precision?
I generally used Fender Flats on my '62.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”