450 Pickup Mounting Question

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

jawhog

450 Pickup Mounting Question

Post by jawhog »

I have looked around, but can't seem to find a description or picture of how to mount pickup on the 450 pickguard.
Does it just use a standard pickguard mounting screw with springs?

I have recently acquired a project 1967 450/12. I'm sort of striking a middle ground between a vintage restoration and the frankenstein that it was. So I'm rebuilding with mostly rickenbacker parts, but not vintage or necessarily matching the 1967 setup. Then, once I get a playable guitar and see how it sounds, will go from there.
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: 450 Pickup Mounting Question

Post by jps »

The pickups mount just like they do on a 4001/2/3 bass.

Hope this helps.
jawhog

Post by jawhog »

Helpful, thanks. Still had to look up what that is. I couldn't easily find a diagram of how the grommets are used. So for anyone reading this in future (and for confirmation), the order from top down is screw-pickguard- grommet-pickup.
collin

Post by collin »

jawhog wrote:Helpful, thanks. Still had to look up what that is. I couldn't easily find a diagram of how the grommets are used. So for anyone reading this in future (and for confirmation), the order from top down is screw-pickguard- grommet-pickup.

Correct. That’s the right order.

The 400-Series pickups (like the 4001 basses) were threaded to mount on the pickguard, unlike the conventional toaster that is top-mounted.

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”