Gigging with vintage Rics?

Early years of Rickenbacker Guitars prior to and including 1972

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

danoadam

Gigging with vintage Rics?

Post by danoadam »

Has anyone extensively gigged with their vintage Rickenbacker? Any issues? I love my '68 330 of course, but I worry about it's durability being dragged around to gigs and clubs...
collin

Re: Gigging with vintage Rics?

Post by collin »

I haven't toured with vintage Ricks, but played more than a few shows with them.

Depends how you define "Vintage" (to me, that means pre-1973, 21-fret guitars with x-bracing). These are more susceptible to changes in humidity and temperature than modern Ricks (particularly 12-strings), but I wouldn't say they're super fragile compared to other semi-hollow guitars.

If you're looking for something totally bulletproof, I'd suggest picking up a vintage reissue that will get you 90% of the way there in terms of tone & playability without any concerns.
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

No touring but lots of gigs... recently playing the heck out of a 72 4001 BG that Larry Davis restored beautifully. I used to play a couple of 60's convertibles a lot, they were great. Some tulips too.
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

I'd gigged any and all of mu instruments, vintage, or otherwise. For one example, my old '67 4005WB got extensive gig time at all kinds of venues, from large festivals to seedy college dive bars. :mrgreen:

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Vintage Years - Before 1973”