sanded through binding

Exceptional restoration is in the details

Moderator: jingle_jangle

radapaw

sanded through binding

Post by radapaw »

I've just picked up a 4001 in pretty rough shape for a great price. In addition to trying to turn it into an 8-string at some point (now poorly filled, but stable), mr.thelastguy also found the binding uncomfortable and sanded it off....

so if you all were in my shoes, what would you do? (other suggestions are welcome)

-route binding ledges for oversized maple 'binding' to replace the missing maple and shape to 4001s
-use wood filler (suggestions welcome) and build up the missing wood, and again convert to S
-sand more and scale down the body (be it bound or unbound)
-filler touchups and sanding and get closer to a c64s
-leave it, stop sanding, and play more... :lol: yeah right, who am I kidding.
collin

Re: sanded through binding

Post by collin »

Best option at that point is remove & replace the body wings. Is that too big an undertaking?

Most of those options are bodges, in my opinion. Best of them would be routing for maple binding, and convert to “S” model. But as a 4001, I assume your bass has deluxe inlays?
wim
Intermediate Member

Post by wim »

If it's a good player and the sound is good, leave it
You'll never have to worry about scratches etc
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

Considering the major 'work' done on the headstock as well, I don't think I can justify new wings in this case. I didn't pay much, and it isn't ever going to be worth much.... which is a great excuse to go a little 'modded' I figure. I agree these are bodged solutions, personally I'm leaning towards a c64s type body because I'd like to avoid a bondobacker (although I keep wondering if I'd forget if it was covered in British racing green :mrgreen: ). While drooling over some 4004's I was toying with the idea of adding droptops/backs to the wings as well.

ehhhhhh it's an ok player and the sound is no better than my stock 4001's..... although it is VERY comfortable.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

I don't think any 4001 neck will handle the tension of four additional strings. This project will be time and money wasted. A 4003 with the the newer truss rod system is a much better candidate for multi string conversions.
collin

Post by collin »

aceonbass wrote:I don't think any 4001 neck will handle the tension of four additional strings. This project will be time and money wasted. A 4003 with the the newer truss rod system is a much better candidate for multi string conversions.
Weren't the 4005-8 models built with the old style truss rods? Not saying it wouldn't work, but I believe there is a precedent for adding strings with the old style truss rod.
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

aceonbass wrote:I don't think any 4001 neck will handle the tension of four additional strings.
The previous owner appears to have tried, failed, and filled the holes before I got here... I have no intention of returning it to a hairpin 8-string.
cassius987

Post by cassius987 »

wim wrote:If it's a good player and the sound is good, leave it
+1

Find a way to make it comfortable for you and play the heck out of it.
radapaw

Post by radapaw »

hmmm I didn't realize the modern 4003 body had shrunk so much.....hmmmmm..... https://www.talkbass.com/threads/ricken ... s.1016471/ . Even with the binding sanded off this project looks particularity fat-winged.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

cassius987 wrote:
wim wrote:If it's a good player and the sound is good, leave it
+1

Find a way to make it comfortable for you and play the heck out of it.
+1
jps
RRF Consultant

Post by jps »

What finish is on the bass, currently? If MG is the body figuring nice enough to keep the bass MG? If so, a nice, contrasting wood binding would look nice, such as walnut, or flame koa. Just an idea to "ramp up" the eye-appeal.

Return to “Reflections of a Curmudgeon: by Paul Wilczynski”