Marty Stuart’s Psychedelic Jamboree

Those who flock to The Byrds
pathelms

Marty Stuart’s Psychedelic Jamboree

Post by pathelms »

Fabulously, Superlative show at the Country Music Hall of Fame last night! MS hosted a “one of” performances of “country music in the sixties.” Rather than being authoritative, the theme had more to do with county music derives inspiration from the era, and Marty’s experience growing up during it. Kinda abstract, but wonderful in every way. The evening began with the instrumental outtake if Mind Garden played as the soundtrack to a grainy film montage of images of people and events relative to Marty’s childhood. The evening closed with a mini Byrd’s set, featuring McGuinn and Hillman:
-My Back Pages
-You Ain’t Goin’ Nowhere
-Have You Seen Her Face
-You Don’t Miss Your Water
-Ballad of Easy Rider(dedication to Peter Fonda)
-Feel a Whole Lot Better
-Mr. Tambourine Man
-Turn! Turn! Turn!
Many highlights beyond the Byrds section though!

Cheers!
pathelms

Re: Marty Stuart’s Psychedelic Jamboree

Post by pathelms »

Forgot I'd taken a picture!
Attachments
IMG_4115 copy.jpg
Guzzitd63

Post by Guzzitd63 »

pathelms wrote:Fabulously, Superlative show at the Country Music Hall of Fame last night! MS hosted a “one of” performances of “country music in the sixties.” Rather than being authoritative, the theme had more to do with county music derives inspiration from the era, and Marty’s experience growing up during it. Kinda abstract, but wonderful in every way. The evening began with the instrumental outtake if Mind Garden played as the soundtrack to a grainy film montage of images of people and events relative to Marty’s childhood. The evening closed with a mini Byrd’s set, featuring McGuinn and Hillman ... Cheers!
pathelms wrote:Forgot I'd taken a picture!
Great thread!
I've new-found respect for Marty Stuart after his featured interviews in the Ken Burns film on PBS.
Funny how your perspective on "things" changes over time.
Thanks for posting.
pathelms

Post by pathelms »

If you haven’t heard Stuart’s WAY OUT WEST record yet, I highly recommend checking it out.

Turned me into a veritable head-twanger of late! ( ;
Guzzitd63

Post by Guzzitd63 »

pathelms wrote:If you haven’t heard Stuart’s WAY OUT WEST record yet, I highly recommend checking it out.
Hey thanks. I have it on order now.
Yeah, I still by CD's.
I like having the hard copy.
But I haven't yet had the courage to make the jump to Blu-ray/high-def yet.
( ... and my Daughter snagged my turntable after the divorce and she wont give it back. lol)
fatcat
Intermediate Member

Post by fatcat »

TY 4 the heads up; I'm listening to Way Out West streaming on Amazon.
chrisdski
Intermediate Member

Post by chrisdski »

pathelms wrote:If you haven’t heard Stuart’s WAY OUT WEST record yet, I highly recommend checking it out.

I agree this is a very good recording. Check it out on headphones!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Chris it is a great recording. Marty has a B Bender on his acoustic which I did not notice before. He also has Gram Parson's old Tele. Nice to see a connection to the past with The Byrds. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
pathelms

Post by pathelms »

Yep- Twang Side of the Moon!

No doubt, Marty is a musical visionary.

Can’t say enough about that grainy 8mm film montage at the beginning of the show with the instrumental Mind Gardens outtake as the soundtrack. Younger Than Yesterday was so aptly titled in that it truly captured a child-like take on the scene at the time - just before things rapidly turned south. He captured that sensibility perfectly. Wish the show had been filmed, just so that montage could be preserved and available. I was also heartened by having something so totally “Cros” included in what will likely be the closest we can get to a Byrd’s reunion.

Looking forward to seeing Marty in Knoxville on Halloween!

BTW, David, i’m in precisely the same technological status (including no blu-Ray). CDs are still the “new thing” to me. I kind of feel like Jed Clamplett now - assuming Tom Mix is still making movies. Divorced - with a daughter too! Although mine ran off with my Radiohead collection instead!

Not even on social media.....which explains why I’m here! :D
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Glad you are here Pat. :)
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
pathelms

Post by pathelms »

Thanks, Peter - Great to be here!

Return to “Byrds' Forum: by James Krause”