George Harrison mural

The history and music of the Fab Four
bassduke49

George Harrison mural

Post by bassduke49 »

Not sure if this has already been posted, so . . . . I was traveling down I-57 through central Illinois early in August this year. It's a pleasant, if not a bit boring, interstate with smooth pavement and it was a real relief after the gnarled mess around Chicago. My wife, Dorothy, and I were headed to Chattanooga for a model hobby convention, and our overnight stop would be in Paducah, Kentucky. So, zipping along on the highway with 22 model airplanes in the back, just minding the good weather, light traffic, George Harrison with his Rick 360/12, there's a red-tail hawk . . . wait, WHAT? I did a rapid double-take, but only got a glimpse. I big picture of George Harrison with three excited girls reaching for him was maybe 50 yards from the road! Wow! Cool! But why this neat billboard/mural way out here in corn country? I couldn't stop, or back up, or go to the next exit and circle back. I started wondering why would there be this tribute in rural Illinois? Then I remembered that George visited his sister who lived in Illinois just before they made it big. It was Benton. That's the town, and that's the reason for the location of the mural. Such a cool thing!

https://bentonil.com/?page_id=2909
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
jps
RRF Consultant

Re: George Harrison mural

Post by jps »

That mural looks very surreal. Very cool tribute. 8)
jch
Intermediate Member

Post by jch »

That is a pretty cool mural ,thanks for sharing Paul,first i'd seen or heard about this!
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

Rick 450 JG 62 BH439 GH.jpg
If they wanted to be really accurate, the mural should have shown George playing the 425 he purchased in Benton (later turned into a 450-ish something).
bassduke49

Post by bassduke49 »

The mural artist, John Cerney, was working from a photo. Here's a radio interview with him and slideshow on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4ELCWk-IZ8
Author: "The Rickenbacker Electric Bass - 50 Years As Rock's Bottom"
scoobster28
Veteran RRF member

Post by scoobster28 »

If they really, really really wanted it to be accurate the 425/450 would be Fireglo, as it was only later repainted Jetglo to match John's 325.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Nice story. At the risk of duplication this is my take on his Rickenbacker Model 425
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Post by libratune »

admin wrote:Nice story. At the risk of duplication this is my take on his Rickenbacker Model 425
Peter, I just read through your take on the George Harrison 425. Very nicely done! This guitar is currently on display at the Rock and Roll HOF and Museum as part of the "Play It Loud" exhibit, which originated at the Met in 2018 and was moved to the Rock Hall in November 2019.

There have emerged a few books and DVDs that either mention or focus on George's trip to Benton IL.

A book by his sister, Louise: "My Kid Brother's Band, a.k.a The Beatles"
My Brother's Band - Louise Harrison.jpg
A book by Jim Kirkpatrick: "Before He Was Fab, George Harrison's First American Visit"
Before He Was Fab.jpg
DVDs: "A Beatle in Benton Illinois" (original and 50th anniversary editions)
A Beatle in Benton Illinois DVD.jpg
A Beatle in Benton Illinois DVD-2.jpg
One interesting tidbit in the Fitzpatrick book was when George got with Kenny Welch (a member of The Four Vests, a band that George sat in with when in Benton) he tried to buy Kenny's Rick 365 O.S. Fireglo 1962 from him.
Kenny wouldn't sell. Here's a photo of Kenny with that guitar taken from the book.
Kenny Welch w Rick 365 OS 62.JPG
Finally, a photo of George, Louise and brother Peter (with George holding Louise's daughter) during the Benton trip.
George and Peter Harrison visit sister Louise.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

libratune wrote:
admin wrote:Nice story. At the risk of duplication this is my take on his Rickenbacker Model 425
Peter, I just read through your take on the George Harrison 425. Very nicely done! This guitar is currently on display at the Rock and Roll HOF and Museum as part of the "Play It Loud" exhibit, which originated at the Met in 2018 and was moved to the Rock Hall in November 2019.

There have emerged a few books and DVDs that either mention or focus on George's trip to Benton IL.

A book by his sister, Louise: "My Kid Brother's Band, a.k.a The Beatles"
My Brother's Band - Louise Harrison.jpg
A book by Jim Kirkpatrick: "Before He Was Fab, George Harrison's First American Visit"
Before He Was Fab.jpg
DVDs: "A Beatle in Benton Illinois" (original and 50th anniversary editions)
A Beatle in Benton Illinois DVD.jpg
A Beatle in Benton Illinois DVD-2.jpg
One interesting tidbit in the Fitzpatrick book was when George got with Kenny Welch (a member of The Four Vests, a band that George sat in with when in Benton) he tried to buy Kenny's Rick 365 O.S. Fireglo 1962 from him.
Kenny wouldn't sell. Here's a photo of Kenny with that guitar taken from the book.
Kenny Welch w Rick 365 OS 62.JPG
Finally, a photo of George, Louise and brother Peter (with George holding Louise's daughter) during the Benton trip.
George and Peter Harrison visit sister Louise.jpg
Ron, thanks very much for your comments and your inclusion of multiple sources of related material. :shock: I suspect you have an interesting library.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277

Return to “Beatles' Forum”