String Poll for Rickenbacker Bass Players

Vintage, Modern, V & C series, Fretless, Signature & Special Editions

Moderators: rickenbrother, ajish4

What type of strings do you prefer on your Rickenbacker bass.

Roundwound
58%
Groundwound
2%
Flatwound
39%
Tapewound
2%

Total votes: 109

morrow

Re: String Poll for Rickenbacker Bass Players

Post by morrow »

TI's seem to work really well on both of mine . But I'm looking for a bass sound rather than that bright piano like tone ...
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

I like the bright, gritty Ric clank so roundwounds for me on my Rics (I do use flats on other basses - can definitely appreciate that sound - but if it's Rickenbacker then it's rounds for me).

I used to use DR Lo-Riders on my '76 4001 but was getting some tail-lift, so switched to Hi-Beams which are lower-tension. Loving them so far!
Benjamin

Post by Benjamin »

hieronymous wrote:I like the bright, gritty Ric clank so roundwounds for me on my Rics (I do use flats on other basses - can definitely appreciate that sound - but if it's Rickenbacker then it's rounds for me).

I used to use DR Lo-Riders on my '76 4001 but was getting some tail-lift, so switched to Hi-Beams which are lower-tension. Loving them so far!
Interesting your switch from LRs to HBs. My '00 4003 has a little tail lift I am watching. Doesn't seem to have moved much in 5 years. I use Hi-Beams on my heavily modded Epiphone Ripper. The Hi-Beams on 34" scale vs Lo-Riders on 33 1/4" scale feel almost identical. Tried Hi-Beams on the 4003 and it felt slightly floppy, but I was coming straight off Rotos.
hieronymous
Intermediate Member

Post by hieronymous »

Benjamin wrote:
hieronymous wrote:I like the bright, gritty Ric clank so roundwounds for me on my Rics (I do use flats on other basses - can definitely appreciate that sound - but if it's Rickenbacker then it's rounds for me).

Interesting your switch from LRs to HBs. My '00 4003 has a little tail lift I am watching. Doesn't seem to have moved much in 5 years. I use Hi-Beams on my heavily modded Epiphone Ripper. The Hi-Beams on 34" scale vs Lo-Riders on 33 1/4" scale feel almost identical. Tried Hi-Beams on the 4003 and it felt slightly floppy, but I was coming straight off Rotos.
Here is the info on the DR page:

"The slight bit of stiffness makes Lo-Rider bass strings very accurate when playing harmonics. Great consistency and great string-to-string balance are DR hallmarks. Lo-Rider provides more depth of tone, and are a bit stiffer than Hi-Beams."

https://www.drstrings.com/bass-lo-rider

The Hi-Beams page isn't as explicit but does state: "The extra effort DR expends making Hi-Beams results in a bass string that is highly flexible and musically but not harshly bright."

I think some of it could be subjective but I figured it was worth a try!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Harry, thanks for your comments. The number of different types of bass strings is truly amazing. It is hard to know how much is about the string and how much is about all of the other variables that make up the sound. One thing is for sure, the wrong string for one's bass is likely to be limiting. I find myself reading articles about strings all the time but the reviews are not always as object as I would like. Perhaps those who have read great reviews on string type could share the links here.
Life, as with music, often requires one to let go of the melody and listen to the rhythm

Please join the Official RickResource Forum Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/groups/379271585440277
morrow

Post by morrow »

Over the years I've tried Fender9050's , TI's , LaBellas and GHS strings . On Rics I love the Thomastiks but these days I also have a number of short scale basses and I prefer a stiffer string on 30 in instruments . Generally LaBellas .
rictified

Post by rictified »

I prefer round wounds on my Rics, got DR sunbeams on both my Rics, 1979 4001 and an 85 4003FL I superglued the neck on the fretless so I can put anything on it. I've tried flats on them and when I get my next Ric which will be a 4003S I'll probably throw either La Bella or Fender flats on it, I just don't like light strings especially light flatwounds.
espidog

Post by espidog »

I've always used roundwounds on my 4003, but if I had a second Rick I'd definitely put flats on it, just to have the best of both worlds.

Tried several brands over the years, and different types (nickels, coated, groundwounds etc.) but always shied away from stainless steels. Then, about 2 years ago, I relented: finally laced up some Roto 66s. Haven't felt any need to change since. :)
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
JWR

Post by JWR »

Done looking. The Rotosound Swing Bass 66 are consistent, available, and are one of those "got it right the first time" products. Quirky, but I gotta have the red stuff at the end of the strings.
" I have no opinion" Tim (the Tool Man) Taylor
K9-4026

Post by K9-4026 »

My C64 has TI - JB flats, which, BION, have a Roto-Soundish ring.

The 4003S, fitted with V63 electrics, is set up for Prog - RS66 or nothing.
brianeharmonjr
Intermediate Member

Post by brianeharmonjr »

TI flats for me for years and years. Gotta be flats
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

Flats on fretted and rounds on fretless

Pyramid gold flats are my runaway favorite flats, second place isn’t even close.

Usually I buy the cheapest possible nickel rounds for fretless, (EB or S.I.T.) but I have ric factory rounds on my 4003w. And I really like them a lot. I think I have EB on my 4004 cii

I absolutely love Dave Brubecks tapewound sound, but I’m not that subtle and dynamic so I don’t even try to emulate his sound.
iiipopes
Intermediate Member

Post by iiipopes »

Damn COVID-19. On my 1981 4002, which I purchased in the early 1990's, I tried several string brands/models/gauges. At that time GHS Progressives were the new kid on the block. I tried them. I liked them. They brought out what those 4002 pickups had to offer. I could get custom singles. So for over twenty-five years I strung my 4002 with custom gauges 45-60-80-105, decades before "balanced sets" became a thing. I didn't really know, either; those gauges just felt better to the fingers and seemed more consistent string-to-string tonally and were very close to the factory rounds gauges. With the higher iron content of the Alloy 52 wrap, they lasted longer for me than, say, Boomers by comparison, as my hand perspiration tends to eat nickel. And then damn COVID-19 hit, and GHS quit making them. I still have two NOS sets assembled from singles left. When they finally go, I will probably switch to Pressurewounds, as they are essentially the same string: hex core, Alloy 52 wrap. Oh - and from the time I decided these were the strings for this bass, and properly tweaked the setup, I never had to adjust the old-style hairpin truss rods! How's that for both string consistency and neck stability! Yes, it has a rather chunky neck which fits my hand perfectly. The only time I had to adjust the rods were when I had to have the bass completely refretted from completely wearing out the frets gigging as my primary bass for all those years, after I got it back from a luthier who really appreciates Rickenbacker basses. You cannot tell it was ever refretted until you look really, really, closely. Now, I play a 5-string for the repertoire I play in my current band, so the 4002 comes out for special occasions only.
Miyaru

Post by Miyaru »

For the last 4 years or so, I had taperwounds from La Bella on my 2001 Ric 4003FG. I had a love/hate relations with these strings. They felt so soft on my hands, sounded OK, but I just missed roundwounds. From around 1998 onward I had Elixer strings on all my basses, but lately I rediscovered Rotosounds. I have them on my P/J Bass and my Spirit By Steinberger XT2 bass.

Then I thought I want roundwounds on my Ric again. Being a bat afraid of the taillift I deceided to use D'Addario EXL 170 Regular Light Nickel wounds with a 45-65-80-100 size.

These feel even better than Rotosounds, and sound the bomb!

I think I put them on my P/J bass as soon as it needs new strings.

henry5
Advanced Member

Post by henry5 »

Rounds on two - both Roto Swing Bass, 40-100, and TI flats on one. The new album (nearly finished) has I think 6 tracks with rounds and 3 with flats.

Return to “Rickenbacker Basses: by Joey Vasco & Tony Cabibe”