67%
Maplego
33%

Total votes: 12

scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Re: About to Order My First Ric!

Post by scott_s »

knightrich wrote:Ok great! That was another question I had. I had read that the standard low E gauge was 42 so that’s good to hear!
That always struck me as an anachronism, like the 0.010-0.038 "Rock and Roll" strings Fender used to sell. Cool in its own way, but too slinky for my ham-fisted playing! :lol:
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

So I’ve now been quoted a 360 new, for only $300 more than a new 330. Is it worth it? I was able to try out the 360/12 in person and the xo tours were nice and smooth. I don’t know that I’d ever use the Ric-o-Sound but like the inlays.
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

knightrich wrote:So I’ve now been quoted a 360 new, for only $300 more than a new 330. Is it worth it? I was able to try out the 360/12 in person and the xo tours were nice and smooth. I don’t know that I’d ever use the Ric-o-Sound but like the inlays.
1. You won't use the Ric-O-Sound. Oh, you'll run to Radio Shack and buy some Y-cables and connectors, plug them into your Ric-O-Sound jack, monkey with it for a few minutes...and then never use it again.

2. The 360 for just 300 bucks more is good. The 360 with the contours, binding, and shark fin fret-markers is a super cool guitar.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

One other question about the 330 vs 360: is there a notable difference in their tone?
Tommy
Intermediate Member

Post by Tommy »

knightrich wrote:One other question about the 330 vs 360: is there a notable difference in their tone?

The necks, frets, electronics, bridges, pickups, hardware are all the same in both models; so tone arising from those areas will be same. The bodies are different, the cavities are different. That should account for a difference in tone. But is that difference noticeable? No.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

Tommy wrote:
knightrich wrote:One other question about the 330 vs 360: is there a notable difference in their tone?

The necks, frets, electronics, bridges, pickups, hardware are all the same in both models; so tone arising from those areas will be same. The bodies are different, the cavities are different. That should account for a difference in tone. But is that difference noticeable? No.
Ok good to know. I’ve gotten the price difference between the two to about $125 so it’s really worth it to just get the 360. Problem is they’re available next week and I don’t have enough gift cards saved up yet! May pre order one from the next batch they get.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

If a couple hundred bucks is making the difference, just get a 330. You can always upgrade to a 360 later on when means allow. (The simpler appointments of the 330 appeal more to me anyway. :))
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

scott_s wrote:If a couple hundred bucks is making the difference, just get a 330. You can always upgrade to a 360 later on when means allow. (The simpler appointments of the 330 appeal more to me anyway. :))
Are the 330necks thicker as some say online?
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

I should also point out the neck that was able to play that I liked was 360w/12. Is that shape/profile about the same thickness as a standard 360?
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Hopefully more people can chime in on that one! Couldn't tell you how the 360 compares to the 330, let alone over many years of production variations. :)

One data point, though: my 2004 330 measures about 0.93" thick at the first fret and slightly more than that at the 12th. Despite having small hands, I love the way that neck feels.
bluewhale

Post by bluewhale »

knightrich wrote:... My Epiphone Dot is in natural so I have already have a mapleish guitar, and from what I’ve read, the new UV finish Ric uses won’t amber as much...
There are mapleish guitars, and then there are mapleish guitars. I think a Mapleglo Rickenbacker in the house is a pretty special thing. If you get one, you might never look at your Epiphone the same way again. I don't have anything in Jetglo, so I can't compare. But I always thought the 4004 Cii bass, with its gold hardware, looked stunning in Jetglo.

Also, I have a 4001 C64 bass in MG from 2009, and I don't think it has ambered even slightly.

Good luck in your search,
bluewhale
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Post by jdogric12 »

As for string spacing at the nut, it used to be that 360's had smaller string spacing due to considering the binding on the neck, but they changed that several years back (10 years?) so that 330 & 360 spacings are the same.
knightrich

Post by knightrich »

jdogric12 wrote:As for string spacing at the nut, it used to be that 360's had smaller string spacing due to considering the binding on the neck, but they changed that several years back (10 years?) so that 330 & 360 spacings are the same.
Great thanks!

Return to “Rickenbacker Guitars: Modern Years - After 1983”