Ajax blue molded capacitor timeline

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

Marn99

Ajax blue molded capacitor timeline

Post by Marn99 »

I've noticed there are some visual differences between some of the blue molded caps made by Ajax. Some of them say "Made In US" while others say "Made In USA". I've been told that supposedly the "Made In USA" ones are from the 50s, and the "Made In US" ones date to the 60's. Anyone know anything more about them?
50s-1uf-047uf-blue-molded-ajax_1_0bd5c1038ad5be3a14a528ca1c80ac17.jpg
f4l07aj3rwbvrzayp4vr.jpg
libratune
Veteran RRF member

Re: Ajax blue molded capacitor timeline

Post by libratune »

Here's what I can tell you from a quick look through some photos of Rick guitar wiring looms:

Through 1962, either red Astrons or Sprague orange drops were used, no blue molded caps.

From 1964 through 1967 blue molded caps with 'made in US' were used.
Marn99

Post by Marn99 »

That's what I've noticed as well. When did Fender start using blue molded caps in amplifiers? I seem to remember it being late 59 but I could be wrong, my knowledge of vintage fender amps is much smaller than my knowledge of vintage guitars. Perhaps they could provide some further knowledge, assuming they made the change after 1959.
37012player

Post by 37012player »

I think Fender used them in amps from 62 to 66. I read once they may have been made by a company called North American Capacitor Company NACC.

Film and foil design hidden inside the molded blue plastic?

Guys on Fender forums have been trying to get to the bottom of these for years. Surprisingly ( to me anyway) little seems to be known about the origins of the Ajax caps.

Si..

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”