Pickup height, Hi-Gains

Non-Rickenbacker Guitars & Effects

Moderator: jingle_jangle

RicUpNorth

Pickup height, Hi-Gains

Post by RicUpNorth »

Curious what all of you out there have your pickups at? Specifically seeking that REM like tone. I know, adjust by ear....just looking for some starting points.
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Re: Pickup height, Hi-Gains

Post by scott_s »

My bridge Hi-Gain is set at 3/64" treble, 1/16" bass with the strings held down at the last fret. Neck pickup is a bit lower than that on the bass side. Coming from Fender guitars, I've always been careful not to set pickups too close to the strings, but the way these guitars are constructed it's hard to get much more clearance unless your action is high!

Interested to hear other people's settings/thoughts!
jdogric12
Rick-a-holic

Re: Pickup height, Hi-Gains

Post by jdogric12 »

In 25 years I've probably bought and sold over 200 guitars, and thankfully had to adjust pickup height on maybe 5% of them. :?: I guess as close as you can get without the strings hitting. Really put it through its paces, hit them harder than you think you will, to test it out. If you are trying to match PB's tone, keep in mind that on records all kinds of EQ gets applied and may throw you off. Old live footage might give you a better idea of how he sounded if the audio isn't too bad.

Return to “Forum 51 - The Quest For Tone: by Mike Snow”