The world's most unbearable guitar solo?

Entertainment

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

espidog

The world's most unbearable guitar solo?

Post by espidog »

Whenever I'm feeling low and in need of a good laugh, I reach for my copy of this jumpin' 1951 R+B classic by Billy Love (wrongly credited on the label to Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats). The unforgettably enthusiastic guitarist is Calvin Newborn. Those with perfect pitch may find his solo contribution (45secs in) a painful experience. OTOH if micro-tonal experimentation is your bag, you may differ! Either way, I guess this is why we have clip-on electronic tuners nowadays. I've always wondered why nobody in the studio noticed how exquisitely off-pitch he was. Maybe they were all JUICED! :mrgreen:

That's my candidate for the "most unbearable guitar solo" prize - what's yours?
2004 4003 JetGlo
Epiphone Jack Casady
Ovation Magnum 1
Mania VTB-4BS
Dean Stylist w/ John Birch Magnum II pups
Yamaha BB414
Trace Elliot VA350/GP11 Mk1
Peavey TB-Raxx
2 BFM Omni 10.5 crossfire cabs
Roland Bass Cube 100
doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

Re: The world's most unbearable guitar solo?

Post by doctorwho »

There isn't a recording of what probably is the worst I heard .. it was a live performance of Rare Earth in Peoria IL in the early 1970s, they played some song (I don't remember what it was, it wasn't one of their hits at-the time), and the lead player started on a long lead solo ... and kept cranking the volume up ... and up ... and up. My friends and I (along with a lot of other people) got up and left, as it was at painful levels, and wasn't very good, to boot. Oddly enough, Flash Cadillac was the warm-up band, and they were great and well received by all (the crowd wanted encores from them, but of course they could not keep playing).
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca
scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Post by scott_s »

Rock and roll is supposed to be a little dangerous and out of control, I loved it personally! Dude's been listening to his Charlie Christian, that's for sure. :D

Nowadays, pop music is "perfect" and doesn't sound like a real performance anymore.
sloop_john_b
Rick-a-holic

Post by sloop_john_b »

espidog wrote:Whenever I'm feeling low and in need of a good laugh, I reach for my copy of this jumpin' 1951 R+B classic by Billy Love (wrongly credited on the label to Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats). The unforgettably enthusiastic guitarist is Calvin Newborn. Those with perfect pitch may find his solo contribution (45secs in) a painful experience. OTOH if micro-tonal experimentation is your bag, you may differ! Either way, I guess this is why we have clip-on electronic tuners nowadays. I've always wondered why nobody in the studio noticed how exquisitely off-pitch he was. Maybe they were all JUICED! :mrgreen:
Cool phrasing in that solo, but yes, the pitch at time physically turned my stomach.
gellkeller
Intermediate Member

Post by gellkeller »

Can confirm that this sounded much better after drinking some juice.
cjj
RRF Moderator

Post by cjj »

Out of tune? Nah, he's just a jazz guitarist...
:twisted: :roll: :lol:
I have NO idea what to do with those skinny stringed things... I'm just a bass player...

Return to “On Stage”