Storage of 360/12c63

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

ljordan

Storage of 360/12c63

Post by ljordan »

Greetings once again!

I've had a 360/12c63 in storage for a couple of years now (I had to put guitar down due to studies) and recently got it out again. I stored it at tension as stated elsewhere, but as expected it was out of tune (a couple of years will probably do that). I tuned it back up and all was well though it needs a setup which I've gotten scheduled.

I am quite an amateur when it comes to technical aspects, but there seems to be a little relief (most noticeable from 1st - 5th frets) when tuned back up to standard pitch which I'm pretty sure wasn't there when I stored it (though it was 2 years ago, so I might be misremembering). It will be around a month until my local luthier with experience can get to it since he has a waitlist. The only other service around here is Guitar Center.

For now I've tuned it down a half step to relieve some of the tension, as I don't have any tools around or experience to adjust the truss rods. Should I get those tools and try adjusting it myself or loosen the strings for the month to month and a half I am waiting? Will the bow get worse or will it harm the neck in any way? I found it odd how after tuning it back to pitch there was a concave bow that still persists (it''s been about a week and a half now), unless as stated before I am misremembering or there is an issue with the truss rods. Could they have loosened by themselves? Again, I am a newbie when it comes to tech so any help is appreciated.

Probably just over worrying again. :roll:
collin

Re: Storage of 360/12c63

Post by collin »

I’m all for a DIY approach to things.

But if you’re new to guitar tech, the last thing you want to do is touch the truss rods. It’s the one thing that can cause permanent damage if adjusted incorrectly. Just take it somewhere that is familiar with not only truss rods, but Rickenbacker truss rods and they can get it dialed in for you. The guitar is worth it!
silverface

Post by silverface »

When you say it seems to have a little relief, how much do you mean? It's hard to tell what's really up (if anything) - and "relief" is checked between the 1st and last fret. Why did you check between the 1st and 5th frets? Or did you use a real straightedge (not a hardware store metal ruler - they are notoriously uneven) and note a dip between the 1st and 5th frets? You'd need to measure it with a feeler gage to know how significant it is.

Most guitars play better with slight relief measured at the 10th fret - especially guitars like yours, with low vintage type frets. I have the same model, and prefer relief at .008" on the bass side (which end up .005" on the treble side - but there can be small variations due to natural variations in wood).

If the frets are uneven causing small dips in the action that's somewhat normal for a new guitar that's never been set up after sale. Factories set things on the high side expecting experienced players to get things set up to their preference! And a setup can level frets but not raise them. The height variation you found (which is NOT relief) is only an issue if it affect your playing (if they only one or two thousandths higher, for example.) Virtually every new guitar I see - except custom shop guitars made with player input - needs a setup.

Some just need a minor setup, but much depends on the player's needs, picking attack, type of pick, and string gages. But many - including almost all new 12 strings - need a major setup, with full fret dressing, nut slot recuts for action at the 1st fret, trussrod adjustment and observing the player both before and after the work (without this and the tech understanding and asking about the player's pick attack, right hand positions, left hand finger pressure etc the setup is pretty much a waste of money).

If you get lucky and just spot fret work need to be done and normal adjustments made it might run $60-100. But if you found high frets at 1 and 5 there are likely other variations requiring a full fret dressing - level, crown, ends detailed and full polish. And FWIW every new 360/12C63 I have seen has low vintage frets with somewhat flat tops - and ALL require at minimum a crown and polish.

A full setup with trussrod adjustment fret dressing, nut work (if necessary) and player input with observation before and after runs $150-250 around L.A. - normally towards the lower end. If the tech quotes $50-75 or so, asks no questions and jut says "he'll set it up" find the NEXT closest PROFESSIONAL tech. Because that one is just going to use either factory specs or his own, which may be totally wrong for you!

If you post where you're located folks may be able to recommend good techs that are "under the radar". The best tech in Southwest L.A. County, for example, does NO advertising and his shop is somewhat hidden and looks like a tornado hit when you walk in. But dozens of touring pros and the majority of gigging semi-pros in the area - and some spread across the country - use him for setups, repairs, restorations. Setups and such he gets out in 3-4 days; some restorations might take months...even years!

But don't get stuck using a guy who just does work to his own standards. Make SURE he understands what you want - and will ask questions and watch you play to determine what you need!

Good luck!
ljordan

Post by ljordan »

Thanks for the input- Sorry for the late reply! I just noticed an upwards bend somewhat (1-5th fret area). I went over to a local tech who has experience with Ricks and others and he said it looked great; I think it had a setup before I bought it.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”