RIP Dave Bunker

News, weather & sports

Moderators: ajish4, cjj

doctorwho
Veteran RRF member

RIP Dave Bunker

Post by doctorwho »

I just learned that Dave Bunker passed away a few weeks ago.
https://www.goffmortuary.com/obituary/David-Bunker

For those not familiar with him, his main inventions were the Bunker Touch Guitar and, IMO more significant, the tension-free neck design, which did away with truss rods. I still have a 1970s Bunker ProStar bass with that type of neck, and it has an incredibly narrow/thin neck for a bass.
P2280002.JPG
I also bought another Bunker bass, a semi-hollow body (I don't remember the model number or name), for my late friend in San Diego to learn on, figuring he wouldn't have to mess with any truss rods:
P6051594B.JPG
I also have/had a Bunker Touch Guitar, a ProStar 6-string, and a more modern custom ProStar 10-string (with the octave strings like on a Rickenbacker), but these were among the ones that were stolen (the latter two I sort-of located, but by that time I got tired of having to pay what IMO was tantamount to extortion to get them back).
P4060024.JPG
P6080355.JPG
Bunker_ProStar_10-string_Natural_rszd2.JPG
The workmanship on the 10-string was outstanding. With the 6-string, I had a saddle that wasn't in good shape, and I contacted Dave about a replacement. He sent one free of charge, what a nice guy.

Rest in peace, Dave.
It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing. - Seneca

Return to “News At 11”