Single truss rod?

Setup, repair and restoration of Rickenbacker Instruments

Moderator: jingle_jangle

scott_s
Veteran RRF member

Single truss rod?

Post by scott_s »

I've read that some of the newer bass models are being made with a single truss rod. Is there a plan to roll out this change to all instruments? Couldn't find much on the RIC site or forum.

I don't have strong feelings on it either way, just curious. Thanks!
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Re: Single truss rod?

Post by aceonbass »

I've got one in my 4003SM CB (satin mapleglo checkered binding) and it seems to work just fine. Only adjusted it once since I got the bass last year. It's a true two way adjustable rod, and is currently being used in a pilot program with some of the limited run models that have been coming out since the 4003AC came out with it first.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

I've heard it's not removable though.
aceonbass
Veteran RRF member

Post by aceonbass »

Korladis wrote:I've heard it's not removable though.
It isn't removable, but the neither is anyone else's truss rod. One of the main reasons the older dual rods might need to be removed was to be straightened and reinserted when they stopped working properly. This isn't a problem that would occur with the new rod though.
Korladis

Post by Korladis »

aceonbass wrote:
Korladis wrote:I've heard it's not removable though.
It isn't removable, but the neither is anyone else's truss rod. One of the main reasons the older dual rods might need to be removed was to be straightened and reinserted when they stopped working properly. This isn't a problem that would occur with the new rod though.
Yeah, but I would prefer if truss rods were removable. For most instruments, an messed up truss rod is an expensive repair or a total loss.

Return to “"Vibrola" Rickenbacker Technical Forum: By Paul Wilczynski”